Forty-Six

Where was Ryker finding these men?

I'd like to think of myself as being calm, cool and collected under pressure—and I am—-but the moment I saw Michael, all of my thoughts turned to dust and I was all thumbs. He was more attractive up close, wearing a bright smile. Intense dark green eyes find mine under a thicket of auburn lashes and matching eyebrows.

Freckles spatter on his nose and cheekbones, leading the eyes to soft pink lips and a jaw cut from granite. Everything about him is precise and well-manicured. Especially his copper hair, it's neatly parted and combed back from his face.

He's so beautiful.

I want to immortalize him in marble. Him, Chris and Charlie. They all deserve to have their features flaunted and never forgotten.

I'm standing before this man, eyes wide in awe, for several minutes before I realize he's speaking to me.

"—and it's an honor to be on your team, Dr. Hawthorne."

"Huh?" The single three letters draw out of my mouth long, slow and disastrously. Calmly, he apprises me from his place at Ryker's right, smile somehow firmly in place.

"Are you okay, Blue?" Ryker moves to my side and takes me into his arms, hugging me close. His aftershave washes over me and I breathe it in, carefully tightening my arms around the only person I'd considered home since my parents died. "You look flushed. Were you attacked on the way here?"

Voice accusing and eyes narrowed, he stares Chris down. My love—Chris—neither flinches nor falters. He's entirely okay in this conversation, and the need rising in me to protect him like I used to protect Catrina, dies.

He has done nothing wrong. He's protected me since the beginning. And his love for me shines in everything he does.

Our conversation is sour on my tongue as I turn to glance at Charlie. His gaze flickers to me and he smirks before refocusing on Michael. He's measuring him, determining if he could be a threat to my safety. I should do the same, but my father is an astute man and not easily fooled.

If Michael proves to be a risk, he won't hesitate to cut his life short.

"She is unharmed, Ryker," Chris says, finally cracking the tension in half. "I wouldn't let anything happen to Blue."

Ryker nods and releases me from his embrace. "You'd better not. She's the best part of me."

I know I'm not his biological daughter, but he's never treated me like anything else. Sniffling, I thrust my arms around him a second time, and vow to commit this into memory. Never forgetting this day and others is one of the main reasons I've been so successful in my short life.

"She's safe with me."

Ryker squeezes me tight, returning my second hug. "She better be. Otherwise, you'll be in so many pieces, no one would ever find you."

Chilled, I pull away. An ominous current builds under Ryker's words. He isn't simply talking about protecting me. He may have given his permission for us to be together, but by no means does it give him leeway to hurt me.

"It's nice to meet you, Michael." I gulp, getting a grip on the butterflies in my belly. A blush steals across his cheeks and he looks away. "Welcome to the team."

His name isn't unique. Yet, it fits him perfectly.

"It's good to see you on your feet, Hendrix."

I jerk. I'd nearly forgotten Charlie was here.

"Thank you, Ryker," Charlie says.

"You look like everything is operational."

"Better than ever. I've never felt this strong, nor have I ever had this much stamina. I can't wait to try it out and find out what the limits are."