Sixty-Nine

Lights twinkle on the horizon.

The winking mix of white, yellow, blue and pink makes me homesick. I'd give anything to return to my bed, sleep, and wake up in a world where the last few hours hadn't happened. Sadly, I can't change the past nor can I shake this overwhelming hurt suffocating me.

Figures move along the warming crest of a cliff as the day begins to break. Chris and Michael head the search, glaring out across the rocky precipice. I know what they're searching for... who they're searching for.

They won't find me.

When Chris' head raises toward the barge I'm on, I duck out of sight and settle into the container I've broken into. It's stuffy, narrow and creaks ominously when the sea shifts, but it's the best I can manage. Renting was out of the question and I couldn't use one of my own.

Perhaps, with enough money, I could convince another to take me to the mainland, but they'll be a loose end. A witness. And I can't afford any witnesses.

If I left a paper trail, it would lead them straight to me. I'll have to keep moving and make every cent stretch until I can earn under the table. As I break open the crates in my chosen container, a sharp jolt radiates up my spine and I drop to my knees.

Heat akin to the sweltering oppression of flowing lava blazes across my skin. It's so hot I can barely keep the mounting scream in my throat from escaping. I lay there, staring at the lighting sky until the heat evaporates and I'm a sweaty mess on the floor.

"Iris?"

Her calming presence is a balm

"Your temperatures have spiked. I sense no injuries or sickness. Are you alright, Blue?"

Whimpering, I scramble across the floor to a narrow space between two piles of stacked crates. They groan and squeak as the sea rocks the ship in a steady lull. Shrouded in darkness, I shiver, sinking my nails into my palms to keep a scream from escaping.

"I am uninjured. Have you discovered the source of the pain?"

"I will review your systems to determine the cause of the disturbance. I would advise you to return to the shore for a full examination by trained medical personnel."

For a moment, I cling to her recommendation, but Chris' admittance drives a wedge into my thoughts. How many lives has he taken? How many lies has he told?

Returning would solve nothing.

"I will not be returning to the island, Iris, and when the transfers are complete, please shut down the house, have it cleaned and the landscaping repaired."

I won't be going anywhere near the place for a while—hopefully, it won't be forever, but I can't speak to what the future holds.

"Ryker is scheduled to arrive at the mansion in two hours," she says, her voice a dull murmur, "he is requesting immediate access to you as you have not answered your phone. Chris and Michael are attempting to breach the lab, but are well aware you are no longer on the property. Searches on the mainland haven't proved to be fruitful, and they're hoping you're holding up in the lab."

It takes several seconds for my brain to catch up with her words.

"He, what? Ryker is on his way to the island?"

I shoot to my feet, nearly toppling over when a second shot of heat scorches through me. The thought of Ryker showing up never dawned on me, but I should have known. I'd locked him out of my systems right after requesting transfers for my security team.

He had no other choice.

"Yes. From the communications I've received, Chris has informed Ryker you know of their histories."