Seventy-Eight

"The Hadron Collider? Quantum Mechanics?" Zhyv's voice echoes through my condo, and I jerk, cursing under my breath. She really needs to stop appearing out of nowhere!

What if I was fucking Lewis?

The thought freezes me for a moment. I shouldn't be thinking of having sex with him. Groaning, I rub my temples and force myself to remember I've only known him for a few hours.

He's smart, has an infectious laugh, and makes me feel things I shouldn't. And he's smoking hot, but his appearance is the icing on the cake.

"You scared the shit out of me."

Unbothered, Zhyv shrugs.

"Why are you looking at it?"

Sighing, I stand and stretch. Her holographic form stands to my left, studying the screens on my wall with interest. When I don't answer, she turns toward me with her arms crossed.

"What's going on?"

"You could call, you know," I roll my eyes.

Her head tilts, and she grins, but it doesn't reach her eyes. "Where's the fun in that?"

"What's wrong?"

It's her turn to not answer. Those eyes of her—silvery and moving—are intense, nearly burning a hole through me. She's trying to figure me out and I hate it.

"Stop doing that."

"Doing what?" A single well-kept eyebrow raises, and she smirks, eyes glowing brightly.

"Measuring my biological reactions—you know I hate that shit."

My systems and those in Chris, Charlie, and Michael model what Zhyv's father genetically engineered her to do. She hasn't told me everything—nor do I expect her to—but it's still unnerving to know someone can peek inside of you and take an inventory of everything you're thinking without saying a word. However, having the ability to somewhat do it to others is useful.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong or should I guess?"

"Ryker asked me to check on you and I knew if I asked you'd lie."

"Excuse you?" I say, narrowing my eyes. "I wouldn't have lied."

"Alright, fine. How are you, Blue?"

Mutinously, I stomp away. "I'm fine."

"Your elevated heart rate and blood pressure say differently," she taunts, "try again."

"Some stress is normal," I mutter, throwing down my tablet to keep her from seeing my projections. "Not all of us can spread responsibility across nine other people."

If she knew what I was working on, I'd never hear the end of it. Zhyv is one of the few who knows and understands dimensions very well. She's always cautioned me away from it, but refuses to tell me why. The last thing I need right now is someone making me doubt myself.

Blankly, she stares at me.

"I'm sorry," I squeeze my eyes shut, "that wasn't fair."

"No, it wasn't, but I know something is stressing you out. You want to tell me what it is?"

"I said I'm fine, Z. Let it go."

"If you tell me what it is, I may be able to help. We're friends, Blue." Her voice lowers. "Why won't you let me in? What are you so afraid of?"

"I'm not afraid. I left to get time to mysel—"

She cuts me off. "No, you left because you're angry."