17 - Sentence First-Verdict Afterwards

ANDRINA

Afternoon. How was it afternoon already?

Andrina hurried across the street, one hand pressed protectively against the bulging bag at her side, the other clutching her watch. Her cloak flapped in the wind, and she struggled to control it.

After finishing with yesterday's work, she'd gone to return the candles, where she'd ended up falling asleep. No one had bothered to wake her, and by the time she'd bolted upright on the couch, everyone had already gone, leaving her to scramble for her things and vow to get revenge on them later.

Thank the gods that she hadn't missed any appointments and didn't have any until later in the evening, but she'd left Rapunzel home with Ruben all night. That alone was concerning enough.

Andrina ducked into the woods and stumbled over tree roots as she hastily made her way back to the house. As she stepped up to the door, Esben materialized by her shoulder to grin at her.

She narrowed her eyes at him. You didn't wake me. None of you did, she added, just in case any of the others were listening.

Esben shrugged and continued grinning with that childish nonchalance.

Andrina rolled her eyes and placed her hand on the door, waiting to hear the sound of the bolts unlocking. It didn't come.

She frowned, then twisted the doorknob and tried the door. It opened easily.

Well, maybe that wasn't a big deal. Maybe Rapunzel just hadn't locked the door last night like she'd been told.

Andrina stepped into the house, taking off her cloak and bag and hanging both on the coat rack by the door. The house seemed empty, but maybe Rapunzel was in her room. Maybe she was still sleeping...though Rapunzel had always been an early riser.

She hesitated, then glanced over at Esben, who had ducked behind her coat, nuzzling his face in the fabric. She lifted the coat and raised her eyebrows at him. He widened his eyes at her and pressed his hands to his cheeks, smiling.

Check the house. She flicked a hand dismissively. He nodded and disappeared. There was a rush as the other spirits moved past her, dispersing among the house.

Andrina went into the kitchen. Her footsteps against the wooden floorboards sounded wrong. Hollow. There was a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach.

"Ruben?" she called, quietly, in case Rapunzel really was sleeping. Perhaps taking a nap.

There was a clink in the cupboard. Rolling her eyes, Andrina opened the cupboard and found Ruben trying to climb inside a tall glass.

"What are you doing?" she said, as Ruben squealed, tipping over into the glass. She picked it up and brought it over to the counter, ignoring his protests.

"I was just looking for a nice place to—"

"To hide?" Andrina raised an eyebrow.

"To...rest," he said. "Why are you back so late?"

"I lost track of the time," she snapped. But that wasn't important. "Is Rapunzel home?"

"Definitely," Ruben said, pushing the glass so it tipped over and he tumbled out onto the counter. "Of course she's home. Why wouldn't she be?"

"Are you being sarcastic?"

"Sarcastic?" he said. "Me? Never." He stood and brushed himself off, smiling insolently.

Oh, no.

"Where is she?" Andrina demanded. Had they gotten her?

How had they gotten her?