96 - You Wretched Little Shrimp

RAPUNZEL

Nicolai and Cecilia were not at the palace. In fact, they didn't even have to go far to find them. Rapunzel, who was going ahead of the others and trying not to think of the fact that disgusting Vanessa had literally touched her, had stumbled upon the pair sitting on a bench out in the city park. Nicolai was reading the newspaper, or maybe trying to hide his ugly face with it, which was understandable, and Cecilia was eating a custard bun and spoiling the pigeons that flapped around them.

"Ugh," Rapunzel muttered, kicking at the nearest pigeon. Wolf ran around and tried to eat one of them. It squealed and flew off, taking the rest of the flock with it.

"Good afternoon," said Cecilia, who was in an annoyingly cheery mood.

Rapunzel rolled her eyes. Nicolai just ignored them, turning the page of his paper. "I need to hire you again."

Nicolai didn't react to this at all. Maybe he'd gone deaf.

"Well!" said Cecilia, shoving the last of her custard bun in her mouth. "Unfortunately, Nicolai is not taking commissions from you anymore. Sorry."

Rapunzel glared. "Why? Because I'm banned from F—"

"No." Cecilia cut her off with a look before Rapunzel could say it. Rapunzel sighed. There weren't even that many people in the park. And who was Cecilia to interrupt Rapunzel, anyway? "We no longer support your causes. Not that we really did in the first place, but..."

"Excuse me," said Whit, stepping forward. Rapunzel glared at him. It wasn't his turn! But Cecilia directed her attention towards him, and he continued. "We understand that whatever Rapunzel asked you to do in the past may not have been in your best interests. However...this is important. At least let us talk to you about it."

Cecilia said nothing, just glanced over at Nicolai. Nicolai lowered his newspaper ever so slightly. Cecilia's hand was resting on the bench, and she turned it around so her palm faced the sky. Without taking his unnerving gaze off of them, Nicolai spelled something into her hand.

Nicolai folded up his newspaper and stood. Cecilia followed. Rapunzel stared. "So?"

"So we're going to temporarily lift your ban and allow you into Fable just for today. You are not allowed to wander and will have to stay with us at all times," said Cecilia, and it seemed impossible that Nicolai had said that much in two seconds.

Rapunzel rolled her eyes. "Fine." She glanced at the others and saw that Vanessa was looking annoyingly happy. "Stop that," she snapped, and Vanessa glared at her. As if she'd been the one doing something wrong. The nerve on that girl!

They followed Nicolai and Cecilia back to the marketplace, and Rapunzel prayed that stupid Jack wouldn't be there. The Fates heard her, for they made it to Kensel's stall without seeing so much as a glance of him.

"You're back," Kensel said, frowning. "I told you, you're banned."

Nicolai stepped forward, signing at her. After a moment, Kensel sighed. "Fine. But don't think about coming back again after today." Looking around, she discreetly reached into her mouth and pulled out a long string of tickets. She handed them to Nicolai, who ripped the individual tickets off and handed one to each of them. Alice looked wondrously at the thing like it hadn't just come out of Kensel's mouth. There was even a ticket for Wolf, and Vanessa held it for him so he wouldn't slobber all over the ticket like the disgusting creature he was.

Kensel ushered them into the back, where Vya waited. She uncoiled herself and lifted her head. "Tickets?" she hissed.

One by one, they fed the snake their tickets. When Vya tasted Rapunzel's, she hissed, "Traitor. You killed your mother."