54 - Sending You Forth Alone

VANESSA

The light was streaming in through the stained glass windows that lined the walls of the dining room. Colorful shapes danced across the surface of the table.

Vanessa looked over at Red, who sat at the end of the table, staring out the window. The filtered light cast a rainbow across her face. She was sitting tall and regal. Like a queen.

Vanessa stabbed her fork into the egg on her plate. She'd planned on waking early and asking Whit to send her to Virane so she could check on Kai without Red knowing. She had woken early, but it turned out Rapunzel had already woken because she needed to go to Eilyste. And of course, Red had woken for her.

So there had been no way for Vanessa to go back to Virane. Not unless she risked Red finding out about Kai. She put her fork in her mouth. The egg was cold. She couldn't believe this was where she was now, where she was afraid to let her own grandmother know about her best friend. Who knew Red. Kai knew Red.

He just didn't know who she really was.

"Everyone's awake already?"

Vanessa looked over at Alice, who had just stepped into the dining room, looking like she'd just woken up. She was rubbing her eyes, and her blond curls were wild. It looked like she'd fallen asleep wearing her outdoor clothes, which Vanessa couldn't blame her for. She'd been exhausted last night too.

"Good morning, Alice," said Red pleasantly, turning to her. "Yes, we're all awake already. Rapunzel has gone back to Eilyste."

"Oh," Alice said.

Red looked at her. "What's that on your arm?"

Alice looked down at her arms. "Oh!" she said again. Vanessa had noticed it too—it was impossible to not. Alice looked like she'd been crawling in soot. Her arms and legs were covered in the dark, powdery substance. Alice frowned. "Where did that come from?"

"You look as if you're turning to cinders," said Red. "Why don't you go wash up and have your breakfast, then I'll tell you what we're doing today."

Alice nodded and hurried off, her face flaming.

Vanessa glanced over at Whit. He had a bowl of soup in front of him, but Vanessa didn't think he'd eaten even one spoonful of it. He stirred the soup, watching the steam curl up and disappear. He hadn't even acknowledged Alice. On Vanessa's other side, Wolf peered curiously over the table.

Vanessa speared another piece of egg. What were they doing today? They only had one artifact so far. Well, two, but Red still hadn't even revealed where the Staff of Liberty was. They needed three more artifacts. Why was Rapunzel off on a date with her beloved prince when there were much more important things to do?

By the time Alice came back, Vanessa had nearly finished her food. Wolf was lounging in his seat. Whit had stirred his soup enough that it had stopped steaming. He was sitting back in his chair, examining the cuffs of his sleeves, which were immaculate.

Alice sat down in a chair between Vanessa and Whit. Red made food appear for her. Alice gave Vanessa a bright smile, and Vanessa forced herself to smile back. Alice gave Whit the same smile, and he just looked at her, cocking his head slightly with an unreadable expression.

Alice stirred her bowl of porridge carefully. "Are we going to get another artifact today?" she asked.

Red smiled. Vanessa didn't like it. It looked...hungry. "I'm hoping so," she said. "With all of you, I'm sure you can make it happen. And Rapunzel is already working on Eilyste."

Vanessa wanted to scoff. Rapunzel was doing it for herself, not for anyone else, and certainly not for Vanessa. But Red was right. Maybe Rapunzel could get the Ring of Love if she was going to get close to Prince Ivan. Maybe she would be useful after all.