18 - A Secret, Kept From All the Rest

NICOLAI

Cecilia climbed out of the carriage, staring up at the palace in front of her. Nicolai got out behind her, fumbling with the coins as he handed them to the driver. Cecilia stood there as the carriage rode away, so Nicolai did as well, waiting for her to take in the whole building.

He couldn't blame her. Every time Nicolai saw the palace he wanted to do the same—stand and ogle. The palace was large, antique, and beautiful, radiating a long and triumphant history. And it was mostly built on peace, which was impressive.

Unfortunately, after standing there for a while he noticed the guards start to notice them. Nudging Cecilia with his elbow, Nicolai walked past her over to the iron gate, which was probably meant to block out faeries and Otherworldly creatures. Like him.

One of the guards was leaning against the wall looking bored. The other stared blankly into the distance. Eilysten security sure was lax. Though perhaps everything seemed lax compared to Eyven security. After spending so many years there, coming home was like falling into a warm embrace. Literally, since Eilyste was so much warmer than the icy Eyves.

Nicolai went up to the guards, smiling shyly. Cecilia was just behind him. Both guards straightened and adopted severe expressions.

"Good morning," Nicolai said. Conveniently, all those employed by the palace were required to learn sign language, for the king's sister was deaf.

Beside him, Cecilia plastered a bright smile to her face, signing a quick greeting and introduction. Nicolai had been planning to do it himself, but perhaps it was better if she did it. She always signed so smoothly, elegantly. It was the way her voice sounded, too.

"We've been hired to fix security," Nicolai cut in, because while Cecilia was being very graceful and pretty—she was always pretty—they did need to get going. "You know that it's been quite...." He waved a hand, intentionally vague. "We just want to help." He flashed a winning smile.

"Well...can you verify?" said the bored-looking guard, signing at the same time. He did so clumsily, thinking between movements. He sounded as bored as he looked.

Nicolai waved his hand again. This time, it wasn't to be vague. "Of course."

"I guess," the guard said, not even bothering to sign this time. His voice was flat, unemotional, monotonous. Nicolai knew Cecilia always hated when he did this, but it was useful. "Sure, go ahead. Open up!"

The gate began to open, creakily, and Nicolai smiled at the guards again. He thanked them, quickly, then marched past the gate before it had even opened all the way. Cecilia slipped in after him.

They entered the palace, ducking away from the prying eyes of servants. The halls were carpeted in velvet and lit with glittering lanterns.

Nicolai opened a searching flame in one hand. It had a bluish tint.

They continued down the halls, the flame flashing different colors in Nicolai's hand. It finally settled on a dark violet shade, shifting redder and bluer.

Cecilia took Nicolai's other hand. Nicolai started to curl his fingers around hers, but she opened up his hand and wrote into his palm, "Really?"

He gave her an inquisitive glance.

"Are we really doing this?"

Nicolai shrugged. "Why not?"

Cecilia glanced around them, dropping his hand to sign, "Taking his memories..." She shook her head. "It's not fair. It's not right."

Nicolai shrugged again. The flame flickered redder and he grabbed her hand, pulling her around a corner. "I'm not fair."

He closed his fist around the now-flaming-red flame, extinguishing it. They stood in front of a plain door, closed. He glanced at Cecilia. She looked at him wordlessly.