103 - Life, What Is It But a Dream?

LORY

Lory broke the surface of the water and gasped for air. There was an awfully bright light around her, and she couldn't see anything.

"Come on, come on!" Livia was pulling on Lory's hand. The light died away, and Lory could see that they were home—they were home, and they were in the river, and it was dark, and they were home.

Lory glanced behind her, but Nix and Quinn still hadn't come up yet. Lory knew the moment they did, Quinn...

Livia was still pulling on Lory's hand. Lory could feel Nix pulling her in the opposite direction. Why hadn't he and Quinn surfaced yet? What if there was—

There was a splash as Nix surfaced. In the dim light, he looked just like a shadow.

They were home.

The moonlight sliced through the dark of the night. Nix had let go of Lory; he was hauling Quinn out of the river. The water glittered red like a jewel.

Livia was squeezing Lory's hand so hard Lory couldn't feel it. They stumbled out of the chilling waters. She hadn't realized it until that moment, but it was cold, so cold.

"Stop, stop—" Quinn was saying, and Lory could see him, see him bleeding. He was pulling out the compass, and Nix was trying to stop him, but Quinn was pushing him away and pushing Livia away.

Lory wrenched free of both Livia and Nix's hands, tripping over the river bank as she fell into the grass. It was so cold she couldn't even breathe.

"Lory?" Livia's voice was wavering. "Where are you—"

Lory couldn't hear the rest of Livia's question because she had started to run. She was running, through the frost-covered grass, up the sloping hills, seeing the light of the city.

She glanced behind her. Quinn was drawing something on the ground, and Nix and Livia were trying to get to him, but he wasn't letting them.

Lory ran. Behind her, Livia began to scream. She was screaming, and she was sobbing, and Lory wanted nothing more than to run back. But she couldn't.

Lory ran towards the city and called out, "Help! Help!" Her throat was raw, and the words ripped from it loud and harsh. Everything was blurry. She ran, and she screamed for help, and she ran until her knees buckled, and she fell onto them. Then she crawled, as far as she could, still calling, still crying.

Then she collapsed. The ground was wet and cold, but she knew she was alive. She looked up and saw shadows running towards her. She managed a, "Help," and hated how weak her voice sounded.

She must have been dreaming, then, for there was Austin, the moonlight glinting off his golden hair. He was running towards her, and beside him was Alice.

Lory realized her face was wet. She tasted salt in her mouth. But what a dream it was. What a wonderful, wonderful dream.