Part Four: There Was, There Was Not

PART THREE RECAP

Hans wakes up at the Midnight Beach in Virane after being saved from drowning by Viranian strangers Coralie and Min. He wants to find Kai and Vanessa. They discover that all of Virane is asleep except for Rika, who helps them find an antidote for the sleeping dust that they can get in Ailthe.

Rapunzel is shown around Eilyste by Ivan and Jack. Rapunzel is shown around Eilyste by Ivan and Jack. Andrina and Inge and Jill Andersen are being held on trial for practicing witchcraft. Andrina is sentenced to hang, but the Andersens are only to be exiled, along with Jack. After the trial, Cecilia and Nicolai visit Rapunzel to give her Ivan's memories. They advise Rapunzel to give them back.

Vanessa, Alice, and Whit go to Auvyn to get the Crown of Faith, which is broken into three parts and separated into the three regions of Auvyn. They are helped into North Auvyn by some of Amoret's children and hide in wine barrels also containing organs. They find a pile of organs in a closet and then run into Amoret, who tells them she doesn't have her part anymore and they should wait for Austin to get back to Auvyn. They go to South Auvyn instead and are escorted by Ambrose through the Labyrinth that divides Auvyn. Amabel gives them her part of the Crown. When they go back to Ailthe, they run into Hans, Min, Coralie, and Rika. Whit and Alice reveal to Vanessa and the others that they were the ones who put all of Virane to sleep. The others feel betrayed. Hans, Min, Coralie, and Rika go back to Virane, where they run into Jun-Li, who invites them to the Otherworld with her.

Rome and Austin go to Korev. Lory, Livia, Quinn, and Nix meet them there. Rome tells Fritz he's participating in the Duels and tells Fritz to stop contacting him. Rome takes Austin back to Auvyn and introduces him to Euryn before going back to Korev alone. He gives Quinn a compass, educates him on the Otherworld, and shows him how to create an Otherworldly circle. Back in Auvyn, Austin goes with Euryn back to school. He meets Amoret, who knows about Rome, and then meets Alice. Euryn reveals that Rome knows where the other two parts of the Crown of Faith are and Austin promises to get them for Alice. They plan to meet later.

* * *

PART FOUR: THERE WAS, THERE WAS NOT

"And she always smiled so that he thought he did not know enough yet, and she looked round the vast expanse as she flew higher and higher with him upon a black cloud, while the storm blew and howled as if it were singing old songs. They flew over woods and lakes, over sea and land; below them roared the wild wind; the wolves howled and the snow crackled; over them flew the black screaming crows, and above all shone the moon, clear and bright,—and so Kay passed through the long winter's night, and by day he slept at the feet of the Snow Queen."

— from "The Snow Queen" by Hans Christian Andersen

* * *

The violence and gore ramp up a lot.

There is also an instance of violence against animals.

* * *