64 - Eat, Eat, You Are Eating of Your Own

RAPUNZEL

The trial was already the talk of the town when they returned to the palace.

Ivan had gone off to see the horses away in the stables and to speak to his father, which meant Rapunzel was left behind with Jack. Ugh. After taking measurements and draping a bunch of different fabrics over Rapunzel, Madge had sent them on their way with a promise of sending a hat and complimentary dress soon.

Rapunzel was following Jack to the dungeons now. They'd eaten most of the food in his bag, but it was still slung over his shoulder. He glanced at Rapunzel. "Are you nervous?"

Rapunzel frowned. "Why would I be nervous?"

He looked away. "I was just trying to make conversation," he muttered. "It's just that...I mean, this could be the last time you see your mother alive. Maybe tomorrow she'll be hanging at the gallows or being burned at the stake."

"Good," said Rapunzel. Jack gave her a weird look, and she glared at him.

"Whatever," he said, showing her to a door. There was a guard there, and he and Jack nodded at each other as Jack opened the door.

The dungeon was dark, and Jack grabbed one of the lanterns hanging from the wall. It smelled old and musty. And gross.

"Ugh," Rapunzel muttered, looking around. There were cells, but they seemed empty. The space was small and cramped, and she felt wildly uncomfortable.

"Come on," said Jack, leading her deeper into the dungeon. She didn't want to follow, but she didn't really have any other choice, so she did.

At first, she heard nothing but the echoes of their footsteps. And then she heard it—breathing. And sniffling. Gross.

"Jill?" Jack whispered. The walls repeated his words. It gave Rapunzel a weird chill, and she rubbed her arms. Jack glanced at her. "Cold?"

She glared at him, and he just raised his eyebrows and looked away, searching for his sister or whatever.

Suddenly, he was running, falling to his knees and sliding in front of a cell. He set down the lantern, and Rapunzel could see that in the tiny cell, there was a little girl. Her hair was even redder than Jack's, and it was done in two ratty thin braids that hung all the way down to her waist. She was the sniffling little thing, and she crawled up to the bars, reaching her grubby hands through them.

Jack hugged her through the bars of the cell. He muttered something Rapunzel couldn't hear, tucking a loose strand of the girl's hair behind her ear. "Are you okay?" he said. "Where's Ama?"

The girl nodded, sniffed, and pointed a cell over. A woman was there. She bore the likeness of both Jack and Jill, and she hovered in a corner. Jack looked at her, falling silent.

Rapunzel felt weird. This didn't feel like something she should intrude in. Though why did she feel like that?

"Rapunzel."

Rapunzel nearly jumped out of her skin. She whirled around, and there was her mother. No, not her mother. Andrina. The witch. The Witch of the Milenian Woods. She was sitting in the dead center of the cell, her cloak wrapped around her.

"What do you want?" Rapunzel snapped.

"Nothing," Andrina said. She was silent.

Finally, Rapunzel had to say something. "So you're a witch."

Andrina's jaw was set. She said nothing. That was enough of an answer.

"Good," said Rapunzel. "It'll be fun watching you burn."