Lifering x Reader: Staying Afloat

Thank you for 1-800-GUMB411-C00K1E for requesting again! This is technically a part 2 for Surfs Up! but it could also stand alone by itself. Slight implications of family issues ahead.

"Do you think he'll like this?" You clutch onto the bracelet with a small surfboard trinket attached to it.

"Are you kidding? He'll like anything if you make it!" Your friend says.

You lie down on your bed. "I know, it's just... he deserves the world, y'know?"

"Oh come on, don't put yourself down like that! You've been acting weirdly after you two got together, did something happen?"

You jump up. "No, not at all! It's just... my parents."

Your friend shakes their head. "They're always bad-mouthing you, aren't they? The absolute nerve of them."

You grimace. "I can't believe they got another number. At least I blocked them again."

"Still, are you doing alright? They didn't say anything too hurtful?"

You shake your head. "It's fine. It's not like they can affect me now."

You grab your surfboard and your backpack. "I don't want to keep Lifering waiting, so I should get going now. You probably should too, doesn't your shift start in a few minutes?"

"Oh shoot, you're right!" They get up from their seat. "You better give me those snacks first since I helped you with that bracelet."

You toss them a chip bag and they say goodbye as they walk out of your door. They bump into one of the walls out in the hallway and you suppress your laughter.

You look back at the bracelet and put it inside your backpack. You exit your room and lock the door behind you before leaving.

You groan as you walk down the stairs again because the elevator stopped working. You can hear your neighbors blasting music as you walk, and you hurry downstairs.

—————————————————————

You stroll across the sand. The seagulls squawk above you as the cool breeze sways the palm trees. Lifering is watching the ocean from his lifeguard tower.

"Hey, Lifering!" You shout. "I brought my surfboard so that you could practice!"

He turns over to look at you and smiles. "I'll be right with you in a second!"

You wait for him to get down while you get your phone out of your backpack. You hand him your surfboard and advise him over to the smaller waves.

"All you have to do is lay down on the board. Pedal once the waves approach, and then pop up!" You say.

He excitedly holds onto the board. "Alright, I won't lose my balance this time!"

You guide him for every step until he starts. You hold up your phone to capture a picture of this moment.

Maybe the first few pictures weren't the best because Lifering slipped up a few times, but practice makes improvements! Much, much practice.

"Are you sure you're ready?" You ask him.

"Yeah! Man, sorry if I'm taking a while to get used to this." He crosses his arms.

"Nonsense, you're doing great! It took me a long time to get where I am, and you're progressing faster than I did!" You gently place a kiss on his forehead to give him some more encouragement.

His face reddens. He grips the surfboard with newfound determination in his eyes. "Well, I can't possibly let my partner down!"

He goes back to catch some of the waves as you direct him to the best ones for beginners. You watch as he eagerly goes to try again.