004- The Sorting Hat

"Exceptional... Isn't she?"

31st August, 1993

The next morning came quickly, considering how tired she was, it felt like she only slept for a few minutes. She sat on her bed and looked out the window. She was very excited today. Today was going to be a good day. Today was the day, she'll get to meet everyone. Today was the day she'll be sorted into her house.

She rolled out of her bed and quickly took a shower and got ready to visit Dumbledore. When she came out of the bathroom, she saw pancakes on the bedside table and a house elf was standing near her bed.

"Hey... Nice to meet you... I'm Y/N", she sat on her knees in front of the elf and looked at her with a sparkling smile.

"Hello... I'm Trixie... Headmaster Dumbledore has asked Trixie to give Miss Y/N her breakfast..", the house elf answered shyly. "Miss Y/N is supposed to eat her breakfast and then go with Trixie to the great hall." Y/N nodded and sat down to eat her breakfast. She even fed Trixie half of her pancakes, saying it was too much for her. Trixie was reluctant at first, but Y/N insisted, so she ate some.

After that, Y/N and Trixie came out of the room to go to the hall. On the way, Trixie kept talking about how much she loved working in the kitchens. She told Y/N, Dumbledore was the best headmaster, the elves have ever worked for. She even told Y/N to come down to the kitchen whenever she liked. "Trixie is very happy to meet Miss Y/N. Trixie has never felt so joyful", she gleemed at Y/N with her big elf-y eyes.

"I'm happy to meet you too, Trixie, a lot!", Y/N replied with an equally blissful grin.

Soon, They both reached the great hall and Trixie said goodbye to Y/N and went on her way. Y/N went inside the hall and saw Dumbledore standing in the middle of the room with—

"Ahh... You're here Y/N... I would like you to meet Professor Minerva McGonagall, who will be teaching Transfigurations, and Professor Severus Snape, who will be teaching Potions.", Dumbledore gestured towards McGonagall and Snape who were standing with him and looking at Y/N with curious eyes.

"Hello. Professor McGonagall. Professor Snape. I'm Y/N Miller. It's a pleasure to meet you both", she said shaking both of their hands.

"Oh, no no. Pleasure is all ours Miss Miller.", McGonagall beamed at her. "Professor Dumbledore said you have a remarkable talent for charms."

"–Ohh... It's nothing... I just try my best."

"If trying your best was enough to learn magic, then every student would've been a great wizard", Snape said gloomily. And Y/N chuckled nervously and rubbed the back of her neck, not knowing how to react.

"Come on now, Professor Snape. Y/N was just trying to be modest.", McGonagall gave him a look. "Let's leave Headmaster and Miss Miller alone, they must have more important things to do."

Snape just stared at Y/N as if he was staring right into her soul. Y/N was trying to avoid his eyes.. she looked all around her, everywhere, but him. And then he left with McGonagall without saying anything.
Y/N sighed in relief. "Whoa... That was— intense", she muttered to herself, and turned around to face Dumbledore.

"When will all the other students be arriving?", She asked him.

"They will be here by evening and they'll join us all for dinner", Dumbledore said, looking at her from the top of his half-mooned spectacles. "Your sorting ceremony will take place after the sorting of all the first-years.", Y/N nodded.