021- Buckbeak

Later that afternoon, after attending classes after classes, Y/N finally settled into the common room. Harry was off to Quidditch practice, Hermione was in the library and Ron was probably... somewhere.

She was about to doze off just as Josie (her owl) came flying in and settled on her lap and dropped a parchment of paper which was damp. She softly petted Josie's head and picked up the paper. To her surprise, it was a note from Hagrid informing them that Buckbeak's execution will take place tomorrow. Y/N couldn't help but feel bad for Hagrid. She knew how much Buckbeak meant to him. Buckbeak was important to her too. The memory of flying through the clouds on Buckbeak's back with Harry was a core memory for her. It could also be one of those memories she could use for the Patronus charm. So if something were to happen to Buckbeak, it would be extremely painful for her also.

*****

"Broaden your minds. You must look beyond. The art of crystal gazing is in the clearing of the Inner eye. Only then can you see. Try again."

Professor Trelawny's voice echoed in the background while Harry and Ron were nodding off and Y/N took a deep drowsy yawn. Y/N, at least, felt extremely foolish, staring blankly at the crystal ball, trying to keep her mind empty when thoughts such as ‘this is stupid’ kept drifting across it.

"This is such a waste of time," Hermione hissed. "I could be practising something useful. I could be catching up on Cheering Charms –"

Professor Trelawney rustled to their table, "Now, what do we have here?"

Ron and Harry straightened at her arrival and wiped the drool from their faces.

"Oh! Do you mind me trying?" Hermione asked in her fake-sweet voice. She definitely hated Divinations.

Professor Trelawny gestured for her to continue.

"The Grim?... possibly." Hermione said.

Professor Trelawny raised her enormous eyes to Hermione’s face. "I am sorry to say that from the moment you stepped foot in my class, my dear, it has been apparent that you do not have what the noble art of Divination requires. You may be young in years, but the heart that beats beneath your bosom is as shrivelled as an old maid's, your soul as dry as the pages of the books to which you so desperately cleave."

There was a moment’s silence. Then–

"Fine!" said Hermione suddenly, getting up and swinging the bag over her shoulder. She knocked the crystal ball to the ground, and to the whole class’s amazement, Hermione strode over to the trapdoor, kicked it open, and climbed down the ladder out of sight.

"Was it something I said?" Professor Trelawny asked, looking completely oblivious to her words.

As soon as the class was over, the three of them ran out to go find Hermione.

"She's gone mental, Hermione has!" Ron exclaimed as they made their way down the stairs. "I mean not that she wasn't always mental.. but now it's certainly open for everyone to see."

"I would've done the same thing if someone told me my soul was as dry as books." Y/N shrugged.

"Hang on." Harry said as he bent down to pick up the crystal ball Hermione knocked down. "We better take this back."

"I'm not going back in there!" Ron said shaking his head.

"I'll come with you, Harry." Y/N said and Harry nodded.

Harry and Y/N carried the crystal ball up the stairs and pushed open the door to Trelawny's classroom. Harry set the ball back on its stand but something caught his eye.