Chapter 6: Pool Party

It's Saturday morning. That means it's Miriam's pool party today. I'm excited, I'm nervous and I'm a bloody fish. The last part was completely necessary to include because it's seriously going to put a stop to my 'having fun' plans. I've discovered that I love swimming and now there's a party dedicated to it and I can't even swim! Well... not without being a merfreak.

My phone lights up from a notification. I turn the screen to face me.

Cleo: I'm already dressed for this party. Anyone else?

I double check the time. Did I sleep in? Nope. It's 7:02am.

Poppy: Cleo. Our darling Cleo. It's 7am why are you ready for a party that starts at 12pm?
Emma: I was just about to write the exact same thing. You're going to make yourself more anxious by waiting around. Get undressed and come to mine! That's a whole group invite by the way girls.
Poppy: I'm in.
Rikki: Why are you guys blowing up my phone? It's 7am. Talk to you in a couple hours.
Cleo: Sorry Rikki.
Poppy: Sweet dreams Rikki.
Emma: Get up girl!
Rikki: Goodnight!

I giggle to myself and hop out of bed. Today is going to be exciting! It's been just over a week since we stumbled into the moonpool and turned into fishy friends. Honestly, we've got it in the bag. Sure, there's going to be things that pop up as an inconvenience but we will come out the other side just fine. I believe in is. We're freaking magical there's nothing we can't do.

Feeling completely energised, I make my way downstairs. "Good morning Popsy." Dad greets me warmly.
"Ello love!" I reply, imitating a British person.
"Why ello there governor." he laughs, mimicking the same accent.
"You're so weird." Lisa rolls her eyes.
"Oh c'mon now chappy, top of the morning to ya!" Dad says cooly.
"Okay, too far Dad." I laugh.

"What's on the agenda for today kiddos?" Dad asks normally.
"I'm meeting up with the girls then we're going to a pool party!" I chirp.
"No drinking I hope!" Dad says.
"I don't think it's that kind of party. And even if it was, you know I know better." I reassure with a cheeky wink.
"What about you Lisa?" Dad asks, clearly relieved.
"I'm just going to finish setting up my room. I might even get Kim to help me." Lisa says, talking about Cleo's younger sister.
"I am so impressed with how you girls have adjusted. You're both so resilient." Dad responds, gently roughing up our hair. I flash him a smile to say thanks. I even see Lisa smile a bit.

After I've had some breakfast I make my way over to Cleo's. Funnily enough, Lisa trails behind me to go and see Kim. I knock on the door. Cleo answers it, gesturing us to come inside.

"Kim!" Cleo shouts.
"What?" Kim shouts back.
"Lisa is here!" Cleo replies, again with a shout.
"Girls, why can't we simply talk? We don't need to shout." Mr Sertori, Cleo's dad, butts in.

Kim makes her way down the stairs and Lisa follows Kim back up to her room.

"Sorry about that. Shall we head off?" Cleo asks.
"Don't worry I understand, little sisters can be so annoying!" I respond.
"I know right! I'm so glad you understand. When we get to Emma's you'll see she has a little brother but they're like always happy. It's so unusual!" she laughs.
"I wish!"

♡♡♡

We get to Emma's and make our way to their kitchen. Surely enough her brother, Elliot, is sitting at the island counter peacefully while Emma sits beside him. I raise an eyebrow at Cleo and she laughs.

"Hello!" Emma chimes.
"Hello, happy family." I giggle. Emma looks at me funny.
"Poppy and I were just talking about how different our siblings are. You and Elliot are so civil. Lisa and Kim are the spawn of satan!" Cleo explains. Emma looks at Cleo funny instead of me.
"It's because we have a family policy to always be honest. We have no secrets." Elliot says casually.
"Exactly right Elliot!" Emma agrees.
"What's this about no secrets?" Rikki butts in as she makes her sudden appearance.
"We're just talking about how Emma has the perfect family life." I explain.
"Agreed." Rikki says without a doubt.
"Anyways! Shall we get ready?" Emma says, changing the subject.
"I've been waiting for this!" Cleo agrees.