Chapter 19: The Meeting

We all decided as a group it would be best if we met up with Denman. She holds pretty valuable information about us, so it would be pretty stupid if we ignored her completely. We need to figure out what her team is going to do.

It was so hard today at school. Drew and I are hardly on speaking terms after I've been so distant. I couldn't stop thinking about what's going to happen this arvo at our meeting with Denman. I couldn't stop thinking about my mum leading the mermaid research. I wonder why she got interested in mermaids in the first place?

As we make our way to the JuiceNet we're understandably emotional. Who knows what is going to happen once we arrive? Will there be police waiting to escort us into the property of the government? Will Denman splash us with water? Is the media going to be waiting for our arrival?

Guess we'll find out.

The door bell rings, signally we've made it inside. This instantly gets the attention of Dr Denman, my mother and Zane waiting for us in the booth.

"What is he doing here?" Rikki asks.
"He's the reason we knew to meet here." Denman speaks up, "he's also proven to be quite helpful when it comes to information about you three. Emma, I hear you used to be on the swimming team."
"If you've already got information about us I suppose we can leave." Emma gestures us to go back outside.
"Just wait. Listen to what they have to say." Zane butts in.

We hesitantly sit down across from them. I avoid eye contact with Mum.

"Girls. You each have these incredible gifts. Ms Stevens... Poppy, your mother. Has been looking into mermaids when she stumbled across fishy behaviour in Ireland. That is what brought her research to the Gold Coast. Finally we teamed up to learn more." Dr Denman pauses to regather her thoughts, "we want to work with you. We'd start by running some tests-"
"Absolutely not." Rikki butts in, "if we're just here to be your little lab rats we're going."

All four of us stand up and get ready to go back home. Mum grabs my arm to stop me. I hold my left hand towards her, threatening her with my powers.

"Pops. We don't want to hurt you. We want to help." Mum explains.
"If you wanted to help us, you wouldn't be risking exposing us. You'd leave us alone." I lower my hand and walk out with the girls.

"Wait Rikki." Zane stops us. How many people are going to get in our way today?
"What Zane? I have nothing left to say to you." Rikki replies.
"I think I have a plan. I'm going to find a way to keep you safe."
"Why would I believe you? It's obvious whose side you're on."
"Just trust me." Zane picks Rikki's hands up in his. I can tell it's taking everything in her power not to give in. But she doesn't. Instead, she pulls her hands to be at her side and continues walking with us.

We don't even feel safe enough to swim anymore. Instead, we're trapped on land. Stuck worrying about what will happen next.

"Zane seemed like he could actually help us." Cleo chimes as we walk.
"I doubt that. I think it's another plan to expose us." Rikki states bluntly.
"I hate to say it Rik, but he actually seemed promising." I agree.
"Emma don't tell me you agree with them too?" Rikki asks.
"You know I have my doubts with Zane... maybe I'm just looking for something to feel hopeful about. But they're right Rikki. I think Zane is going to save us."

We all shrug at Rikki's disbelief.

"Pity my mum can't be helpful." I purse my lip, "to think she's the reason behind this."
"I wonder what Denman meant by fishy behaviour... in Ireland? It's all so confusing." Emma wonders.
"All I know is that it isn't good." Cleo adds.

♡♡♡

Curiosity gets the best of me and I reach out to Zane through text.