Chapter 21: Normality

A week later. 

Dr Denman and her little research team moved across continents to work on other marine studies. The good news is, she won't be concerning herself with mermaid business anymore. The secret is safe. No smart-minded marine biologist would say that mermaids exist openly, not without solid proof anyways. So long story short, we're safe. Boy am I relieved. 

"Poppy. I'm sorry." Mum blurts out.
"It's okay." I respond.
"No Poppy..." she pauses, "I'm moving." 
"What?" I mutter, completely shocked.
"I can't stay here and pretend like I didn't leave you all behind. You don't deserve the instability I bring. Knowing that I put your life as risk as soon as we met again just confirms it. I'm moving to America, I get on the plane tomorrow afternoon." 
"Mum." I feel like I can't even argue.
"I'm sorry. I just wanted to tell you in person. I need to start packing." she gets up and I don't follow her.

This was incredibly short-lived. I want to feel upset or angry, but I feel kind of calm. Almost like I expected it. It probably would have been more of a shock if she stayed... it definitely would've been an adjustment. I suppose I knew deep down that she'd up and leave in one way or the other. Having her here longer would've been nice. But I weirdly understand.

My phone climes.

Rikki: Lewis just made $250 selling the underwater cameras that Denman set up. Who's down for a shopping spree? 
Emma: Count me in x
Cleo: I need more swimmers, I'll be there
Poppy: Why do you need swimmers? We're literally mermaids haha
Cleo: For the tan lines! 
Rikki: Let's go spend the scientists money!

I don't want to bum out the mood but need to be honest.

Poppy: I might not join in case I get emotional about some family stuff
Emma: Aw Poppy. We'll distract you! Plus your Mum was apart of the cameras too think of it like a present from her to you!
Poppy: A going away present
Cleo: Poppy, where are you? Let me give you a hug :(
Poppy: At the JuiceNet
Rikki: We'll all be there shortly. Luv you
Poppy: Thanks guys. I love you all so much

I switch my phone off. They're coming. I still don't feel upset or angry, but my brain is definitely foggy. 

The door rings, signalling someone has walked in. I look over to see Drew to my surprise.

"Hey Popsy." Drew smiles at me. He sits at my lonely booth, "what's going on?"
"Just waiting for the girls. We're going shopping I think. I might just take a swim though." 

It's weird being able to say that. Even though if you were listening in, that conversation would seem normal. 

"If I could swim like you, I'd definitely be doing the same." Drew laughs.
"It's pretty cool isn't it." I smile.

The door sounds again. It's the gang.

"You need a hug?" Cleo embraces me. Drew looks at me confused when both Emma and Rikki join in.
"What's going on Popsy?" he asks.
"Mum's leaving. But I'm okay." I say simply.

He joins the group hug. I can't believe how much love I'm surrounded by.

"Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure I'm okay though! It won't be too different to what I already know." I shrug.
"Regardless, we're here for you." Emma clarifies. I smile at everyone.
"I think I'm just going to go for a swim though." I say.
"We can go shopping another day." Cleo smiles.
"Can we join your swim?" Rikki adds.
"Let's go fishy friends... sorry Drew." I laugh at poor Drew.
"I understand! Text me when you're free." Drew kisses my forehead before I join the girls.

All us girls head off to find a secluded spot to jump in.

Once we do, we all dive gracefully into the water and speed-swim towards the moonpool. As we surface we don't waste any time talking.

"Are you and Drew dating now? What's going on there?" Rikki asks me curiously.
"I don't know! We haven't gone on a date since the drive-in movie and that wasn't the biggest success. We only started talking after Denman kidnapped him a week ago. We haven't even kissed yet. What's happening with you and Zane?" I explain.
"We're dating." Rikki blushes.
"Aw Rikki! Congrats! And Poppy it sounds like you need to ask Drew what's going on between you two. It's very, very obvious he likes you!" Emma squeals.

"I wished I had what you guys have." Cleo mopes. 
"I'm the most single out of all of you!" Emma laughs.
"What do you mean?" Cleo questions.
"C'mon Cleo! It's obvious you and Lewis have something going on. The chemistry between you two is ridiculous!" Rikki confirms. 
"It's true Cleo." I agree. 

"Anyways! We need to go, we have to get ready for school tomorrow." Cleo reminds.
"What is the time?" Rikki asks.
"Maybe 4pm?" I guess.
"Race you all back." Emma dives under the water.

I choose to stay in the moonpool to have some time to myself before I head home. 

My life is going back to it's old normal. Well at least in the sense of not having a Mum. I suppose everything is still pretty different though. I keep forgetting I haven't always been a mermaid.

♡♡♡

Now that so many people, aka Zane, Lewis and Drew, know about the secret the dynamic at school has changed a bit. I think Miriam has caught onto the fact that Zane has moved on. He's been pursuing Rikki for quite sometime now, but now that Rikki is reciprocating Miriam is getting increasingly jealous. It's been three weeks since the Dr Denman incident which means the full moon is coming up. Tonight. 

Miriam is having a party tonight, the night of the full moon, this girl sure does like to throw parties. We weren't invited because of this whole jealousy thing she has with Rikki but that is more than okay with us. But who has a party on a weeknight anyways? Especially on a full moon! Not that the full moon would've been a factor for her... but still a factor nontheless!

The school bell chimes, indicating the start of a new day. We all go to class and work away mindlessly. 

After class we go to our usual spot only to find Miriam and her gang sitting around the table. 

"What are you looking at?" Miriam snarks. 
"Nothing." Cleo looks at us, preparing to go the other way.
"Actually no. How about you go and sit in your usual spot, and we'll do the same." Rikki stops Cleo to speak up to Miriam. 
"But I like these seats." Miriam replies obnixiously.
"Miriam, let the girls have their seats." Zane approaches us all. 
"You've got your boyfriend sticking up for you?" Miriam snears.
"Actually, yes." Rikki grabs Zane's hand. Miriam looks gobsmacked.

"Well uh... how does it feel knowing your boyfriend is going to a party tonight without you?" Miriam stutters.
"She's my plus one." Zane states.
"Fine, you know what. You should all come. It'll be fun." Miriam says, sarcasm laced in her tone.
"We will." Rikki speaks for us all. Cmon Rikki, really? It's a full moon. We shoot her a look that Miriam notices, causing her to smile evilly. 
"See you tonight then ladies." 

Great, now we're invited to Miriam's party and we don't have our normal seat.