Chapter 20: Fish Out Of Water

Cleo unties Drew and I. Immediately I go check if Emma and Rikki are okay.

Their still bodies lie on the floor completely motionless. "Drew, go and find your phone, or mine... anyones! Oh and get rid of those two randoms." I start hyperventilating. Drew does as he's told, shoos the two strangers that work for Denman away, and grabs the closest phone. He finds mine. "Call Lewis. Actually, scratch that. Call Zane."
"Zane?" Cleo and Drew yell in sync. I nod. Drew passes me the phone that's dialling.

"Hello this is Zane." Zane answers.
"Zane I need you at the pier right now. It's an emergency. If you're on our side, prove it." I say clearly.
"Coming." he replies without hesitation.

Zane must've been close as he arrives within five minutes.

"Denman has given the girls a sedative. How can we get them out of this state?" I ask desperately.
"They need to be in their natural forms. That's when Dr Denman was going to wake them up to do the testings." Zane informs.
"Natural form?" Drew questions.
"Uhh Drew, do you want to go for a walk?" I ask him, trying to get him to leave so Zane and Cleo can help the others without revealing the secret.
"No! Poppy. You need to tell me what is going on. Right now!" he demands, evidently stressed out.
"I can't explain it. I don't want to. I'm scared." I admit, "stay or leave. But if you choose to stay, you have to keep this a secret."
"Okay. I'll stay."

I nod to Zane and Cleo who are ready to pour water over both Emma and Rikki.

They pour water recklessly, causing water to splash off the soon-to-be-mermaids and flood the floor of the boat. Cleo and I get wet and mentally count down.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

We all transform within a couple of seconds within each other.

Emma and Rikki are the first to transform, followed by Cleo and myself. Emma and Rikki, who were both previously passed out, slowly come to their senses as they open their eyes and take a deep breath.

I look over at Drew, waiting for a reaction.

"I think I need to leave." Drew hurries off.
"Drew wait!" I hold my hand out, jelly-fying the water at his feet.
"Poppy. Let me go." Drew says.
"No, I can't. Not without knowing I can trust you with this." I plead.

Emma and Rikki have come to their senses completely. "Why is Drew here?" Emma asks.
"Why is Zane here?" Rikki asks.

"Drew was trapped by Dr Denman. Zane saved you guys you were both passed out. It was like you were in a coma." Cleo explains simply, "I'm glad you're both okay." Cleo drags her heavy tail over to her friends to give them a hug.

"We won't be if the boy leaves this boat." Rikki looks at Drew, "freeze him Em."
"Woah, woah, woah! Do not do that!" I stop them. "Drew, I like you. Please don't do this to us. I'll tell you everything."
"Who would've thought having a crush would be this complicated." Drew runs his hands through his hair, "you need to tell me everything."
"I would hug you right now but I'm a fish out of water." I laugh.
"I'm sorry." Drew finally admits.

He lies on his belly in front of me, saturating the front of his shirt. The jellified water that was once at his feet has now dissolved. He grabs my face in both his hands.

I look into his deep-coloured eyes. "Thank you."

He pulls my face gently towards his and kisses my forehead softly. "I mean it, I'm truly sorry."
"Thank you-" I reply before getting interrupted.

"Okay lovebirds, Denman is probably going to be back any second so let's save this for later." Rikki butts in. Drew stands up and goes to find a towel. By the time he comes back Rikki has steamed everyone and everything dry. Well except for Drew.