Chapter 18: Exposed by Denman

"Poppy?" Emma shakes my shoulders gently. I'm lying on the pier. I must've fainted. As I open my eyes I notice several faces surrounding me, some familiar, some unfamiliar. There's one too many familiar people here. 

Mum. 

"Pops?" Mum speaks up as she crouches beside me. As she speaks I feel a wave of nostalgia slap me in the face. I didn't think I'd hear her voice ever again. Dad calls me Popsy, and Mum is the only person to call me Pops. I didn't think I'd ever hear that nickname again, especially from her. 

"What are you doing here?" I speak up. Why is there a private investigator assigned to this case? And more importantly, why my mum of all people? 
"Working." Mum answers simply.
"What does your work have to do with this?" I ask, my voice getting sterner. 
"You know I can't answer that." she reminds.

She's right. She could never tell us what she was doing. Rightfully so, but it's definitely annoying in this moment. 

"Who might this be?" asks the blonde lady.
"Dr Denman. This is my daughter, Poppy." Mum introduces us.
"I wasn't aware you had a daughter." the blonde, I now know as Dr Denman, says.
"I wasn't aware I had a Mum." I spit. 
"Wait a second. This is your mum?" Lewis looks gobsmacked. I nod.
"Ms Stevens, we must get going." Dr Denman urges. 
"Of course." Mum agrees. I can't believe she changed her last name back to her maiden name.
"I'll see you around Pops." Mum says, as her and the team hurry off. Zane tags along with them. Lewis stays with us. 

Once they're out of ear-shot I get bomb-barded with questions from the gang. 

"Okay, okay! Lewis, you need to tell us why they were really there?" I interrupt amide the chaos.
"I thought it was just for research." Lewis shrugs.
"If my mum is involved. That is definitely not the case." I speak up. 

I text my family.

Poppy: I saw Mum. Instantly, Dad replies. Followed very quickly by Lisa.
Dad: What? Are you okay?
Lisa: Not funny Poppy.
Poppy: This isn't a joke. She's here for work. I just saw her and spoke to her.
Dad: Can you please give me the number of the people she's working for so I can contact her?
Poppy: Uhhh sure. I'll see what I can do.

Lewis, who is looking over my shoulder, gives me Dr Denman's business card.

Poppy: Okay it's 0437336626.
Dad: Thanks Popsy. I hope you're okay. What time will you be home? 
Poppy: Thanks Dad, I'll be home soon.

"Thanks guys, I might take a swim before I head home." I speak up.
"Want us to join you?" Emma asks.
"You don't have to." I say simply.
"Shh. We will. Right girls?" Emma asks the others.
"100%" they agree.
"I'll see you guys at school tomorrow. Sorry about your Mum Poppy." Lewis says empathically. 
"Thanks Lewis." I smile. 

We all dive into the water and speed swim towards Mako. As we swim I can't help but shake the feeling like we're being watched. Something about seeing Mum and a marine biologist in a team with police officers and other officials makes me so nervous. 

♡♡♡

I wake up and realise I've slept through my alarm clock. Or maybe I forgot to set it? Either way, not good! The events from yesterday felt like a dream. Or more accurately, a nightmare. I can't believe my mum is here on the Gold Coast. I turn my phone so I can read the notifications on the screen. It's blown up with notifications from the gang. Can't I just have a normal, peaceful day?

Lewis: You guys need to get here right now. 
Cleo: Where are you? What going on Lewis?
Rikki: Lewis explain yourself.
Emma: I can be there shortly. Text us the address.
Lewis: The pier. Meet me ASAP.
Cleo: Coming.
Rikki: Poppy are you awake? How am I awake before you?
Emma: Be there in 10.
Poppy: I just woke up. Be there shortly.