Chapter 11: You Owe Me a Soda

After a good 30 minutes spent tanning on the beach I decide to walk along the shore. My body is so warm from the midday sun so I really want to find somewhere more private so I can swim. It seems like everyone has the same idea today. The beach is packed! Feeling defeated, I decide to just find a shadier spot to lay my towel. Imagine the havoc if people saw me walk into the water and disappear. I can't risk it, I should've just jumped into the canal at home! I don't really like the canal though it creeps me out, too close to people's backyards and it doesn't feel as clean as the ocean does. The ocean has wildlife and soft sand, the canal is littered and narrow.

My connection with the ocean has grown stronger, and it does so everyday. The full moon last night only confirmed it, although I don't really remember what happened, the girls explained that Emma and I really wanted to go to Mako Island. They said it looked like we were intoxicated or hypnotised. We wanted one thing, and one thing only well... two things. Mako Island and sardines. I shiver at the thought. I am not a fan of sardines.

I cannot deny my fascination for the ocean. It's so powerful, yet gentle. How has 80% remained untouched, unmapped, unseen? I have been blessed with this gift, I must remember to view it in such a light, it is a blessing, not a curse. Yet right now, surrounded by this many people, it is hard to hold onto such a mindset. I want nothing more than to run into the water carelessly. Walk barefoot while the waves tickle my ankles. I want to rinse the sand off my feet in the beach showers. But at the same time, I get to frolic above coral stretches, swim where ever I so desire and call Mako Island my home.

Next full moon is just short of 30 days away and I feel so unprepared. I can't control what could happen next time we're moonstruck. We were mermaids for hours, even after getting dry. Drew saw me while I saw in my mermaid form, it would've been so easy for my scaly halter top to have shown underneath the hot-tub's violent bubbling, or even worse, my orange tail. I still cannot believe Emma and Byron kissed. It's a miracle that our secret stayed concealed. To think how many people obliviously saw us as mermaids, a towel, blanket, closed door, bubbling water away from becoming the theme park's next display.

Clearly stuck in my head, I hardly realise Drew has spotted me in the shade. "Poppy!" his familiar voice calls. I wave and hop up to greet him. I'm liking how often we run into each other. I suppose this is the benefit of staying at the popular side of the beach.

"Hey!"
He pulls me into a quick hug as a form of saying hi back. "I was so disappointed we didn't get to see each other more at the party! You disappeared half way through the night!" Drew mentions. I blush at the thought of him wanting to see me more.
"I'm sorry! I was at the theme park that day I think I got too much sun! I fell asleep way too early." I fabricate my story slightly into one that conceals the secret.
"Well I'm free today. Don't forget, you owe me a soda." Drew reminds.

I almost forgot about that. He's referring to our first interaction at the JuiceNet. I can't believe he remembers.

"I'm free today and you're right. I do owe you a soda." I laugh.
"By the way, I prefer juice." Drew deadpans which makes me laugh more. "Shall we then?"
"We shall."

We walk against the hard sand on the beach until we need to go further inland to the JuiceNet Cafe. The bell on the front door rings signalling we've walked into the humble beach-themed cafe. "Hi Wilfred. The usual. And..." Drew pauses to let me add my order.
"Would you like your usual?" Wilfred asks before I get the chance to say anything. OMG I'm a freaking local.
"Yes please Wilfred." I smile.

I go to pay with my phone but Drew pulls $20 out of his pocket and gives it to Wilfred before I can argue. Cheeky boy. We grab our drinks and sit down at one of the booths. "So tell me about yourself Poppy." Drew looks at me with curious eyes.
"You've put me on the spot! I used to live in a small town out in Central Australia. I like the beach, my Dad's a doctor, I have a sister. I don't know what to say." I fidget nervously.
"What does your Mum do?" Drew asks ever-so-casually. I don't even think he's realised how personal that question is for me.
"Uhh, I don't really talk about my mum." I bite my lip. I don't want the fact that she left me and my family to be common knowledge.
"Oh sorry Popsy. I shouldn't have asked." Drew apologised and gently squeezes my arm comfortingly. No one else calls me Popsy except for my Dad. I smile.
"It's okay."

I want to tell him, but I don't want to kill the mood any further. How do you say "my mum abandoned me" in a light-hearted manner? The best bet is to not say anything at all.

"Tell me about yourself Drew." I throw the question back on him.
"I'm a lifeguard. I have lived here my whole life. My parents own a vet clinic together, I don't have any siblings, sadly, and I think you're pretty cute." Drew answers confidently, making me blush.
"Oh really?" I raise my eyebrow playfully, "you're not too shabby yourself." I can't help but smile.

I take a sip of my juice, maintaining eye contact with Drew who can't seem to take his eyes off me. I have been waiting for this moment. We're so focused on each other that we hardly notice Drew's friend group along with Miriam and her friend group walk into the JuiceNet together. There's probably eight of them in total and they recognise us instantly.

"OMG! Is that Drew and Poppy?" Miriam squeals, excited to have stumbled upon something gossip-worthy. I don't know who she thinks she is hanging with a bunch of guys who aren't her boyfriend. Wow that was close-minded of me.
"Look at Drew shooting his shot!" Drew's friends laugh, clearly trying to embarrass him. Drew is un-phased.
"Fellas, someone tell this pretty lady I'm worthy of her time." Drew laughs along side them, clearly not one to be the butt of the joke. His mates wolf whistle. Miriam and her girl gang look unimpressed.
"I'd run while you still have the chance." Byron laughs. I look at Drew who has the biggest grin on his face.
"Might take my chances." I reply to which Drew's grin grows wider.
"You two are just the cutest!" Tiffany, Miriam's oblivious best friend, giggles. Miriam, still clearly unimpressed with two of the other girls. Tiffany gets a quick jab to the side from Miriam. Harsh.

They resume going about their business as they order drinks and find a seat at a different booth. Without warning, Drew grabs my hands that are resting on the edge of the table. "Thanks for taking the chance." he says simply. I bet I'm as red as a tomato.
"Thanks for giving me the chance." I squeeze his hands softly.

♡♡♡

"OMG then what happened?" Cleo asks impatiently. We're all in the moonpool while I debrief my interactions with Drew. Our long orange tails trail behind us.
"Then nothing happened. We walked back to the beach because Drew got called into work and that was that." I explain.
"Poppy! That's so exciting!" Emma squeals.
"You guys are gonna make the cutest couple." Rikki confirms with a nod.

I fidget, moving my tail to splash the water softly. It's so exciting! But it's also so nerve-wracking!

"What about you Emma? How are you and Byron?" I ask, taking the focus off me.
"Other than the fact that he said you have nice lips!" Rikki laughs as she remembers that awkward encounter. Emma didn't even know her and Byron kissed until he approached her, I wish I was there for it, it sounded hilarious!
"Well considering I can't even remember it nothing has happened." Emma shrugs.
"It looked like this!" Rikki pretends to make out with the air, which Cleo makes even funnier as she manipulates a water ball the size of a head close to Rikki's lips. Emma sinks to the bottom of the moonpool out of embarrassment and I laugh hysterically, trying not to sink to the bottom as well as I struggle to catch a breath.
"Oh my God why do I miss out on these moments." I say between laughing.

Emma freezes the water ball which splashes us all in the face. "Oi!" Cleo says. We can't stop laughing.