10ᝰ never ask, never tell

"I don't think that's really necessary

"I don't think that's really necessary."

Pulcinella interrupted Childe's uncomfortable chuckle by waving his hand to silence him. "Come now. Don't be like that. You're getting older and haven't even considered finding a suitable bride. This is an excellent time and opportunity."

See, if you had finished your breakfast and departed a minute earlier, you would not have been drawn into this unpleasant conversation. Perhaps you took your time since there were only three harbingers onsite, despite the fact that all had just been summoned for the funeral. Two of whom you had already met, and one new addition mentioned by the fifth harbinger.

"With our hectic schedules, I doubt a relationship could work." The ginger attempted to argue back patiently, shooting you a subtle glance from across the table as a request for assistance. You genuinely enjoyed his anguish, but he wasn't alone. The disagreement included you as well, which was the only reason you got involved. "I agree. I have other priorities, and he is not one of them."

"Wow. Ouch." Childe had forgotten about the conversation and turned to you, insulted, as the elderly man shook his head in annoyance. "Young adults these days." He scoffed before leaving you two be, reaching for his tea cup and taking a long sip, followed by a heavy sigh. "So unappreciative."

"How about we talk about something else?" Pantalone eventually joined in from two seats down next to you, dissatisfied with how the mood had shifted. With a smile, he flipped the engaging book he was reading face down on the table and brought his attention to you. "Have you opened your present yet? I'm guessing you haven't." He was correct. You completely overlooked it by mistake.

The question—on the other hand—was not dismissed by the two other men in the dining hall, who peered over at their fellow harbinger with curiosity written all over their features. You ignored them, supposing they were merely surprised because he wasn't much of a gifter to anyone but the Tsaritsa. "No, I'm sorry. With all that is happening-"

"It's all right. I certainly understand." Pantalone laughed, succumbing to your charade and taking up his book again. His eyes returned to where they had left off, and he continued reading while remaining focused on your chat. "Did I hear correctly that you visited Dottore this morning? I'm sure he isn't pleased that you are being pampered by another man." He joked regarding your clothes, but the way he arched his brow suggested a slight sense of seriousness.