Prologue

“A woman with a voice is, by definition, a strong woman

“A woman with a voice is, by definition, a strong woman.” - Melinda Gates
_____________

Leave some comments 💗

_____

Your heart will die of the one it loves.

She eyed the senile woman in the wheelchair who flashed her a smile. Curiosity laced her gaze as she blinked once, the sharp stench of the hospital assaulting her senses.

“I am sorry, miss,” the nurse with her apologised, “She tends to-”

Her lips curled in an amused smirk as she nodded dismissively, averting her gaze to the woman who could be no younger than 80.

“So you are saying,” Her lithe tone carried, “I will get my heart broken by the one I will love?”

The older woman nodded vigorously, her eyes lighting up, “I can sense that your soul is frigid, it will be thawed and when it is- you will fall for the wrong man.”

She clicked her tongue, leaning closer to the stranger, “Tell me, mam, how does one get their heart broken when they have none?”

The older woman gave her a knowing smile, nodding as if she knew the secret to the entire universe, her ghastly pale skin danced with life, “Once they realise that they have been wrong all along.”

She raised an eyebrow in response.

Ms. Mikhail?” A voice called out, making her straighten up as she stood, her eyes never leaving the intriguing woman.

“What happened to her?” She questioned the nurse raking her eyes over the tubes that were attached to her.

“Dementia mam, she lost the functionality of her leg recently.”

She took the elderly’s hand, caressing it, “May it be easier for you.”

The old lady smiled, “You too. I like you. Here-” She stepped back as she took off one of the many rings that adorned her fingers, “Take it. Wear it.”

She arched an eyebrow to the nurse. The scrubbed woman nodded, “It’s okay.”

“Fine then,” She smiled for the first time in a while, taking the ring and placing it on her index finger, “I am taking a piece of you with me, if we ever meet again, I am going to tell you that you were wrong.”

With that, she kissed the back of the elderly’s hand, walking away as a hearty chuckle followed her.

“How’s my father, doctor?” She questioned as she entered the room, her click of her heels echoing around the vast chamber as she took in her father’s immobile body attached to many tubes.

Rauf Mikhail was a powerful man, but at that moment, to her, he looked vulnerable. He looked like a child. He looked like he was losing, for the first time in his life.

Two other Mikhails that had been present in the room, stood up, eyeing her warily.

“Ava, your father is in a critical condition. For now, we can only pray that his body can cope up with this stroke.”

She nodded thoughtfully, her eyes never leaving her father.

“Ava,” Her uncle spoke up, “In the absence of your father, don’t you think it will be a good idea to let Ramos run things around for a while? SInce he will be running-”

“Then what?” Her eyes met her uncle’s in a sharp glare, one that made him cower, “You two become the CEO and run my father’s company forever while my father dies? Has that been the plan all along?”

“No, I was simply stating the possibilities my child,” He waved his hand around nervously, “It will be good if you have a companion-”

“My father’s will clearly states that I am the one that will be running the company,” She eyed her cousin wearily, “Not your good for nothing son.”

“I am doing you a favour dammit!” He wiggled his fingers, anger marring his features, “Do you think you can rule that place, being a female? Silicon Valley will eat you up and throw you away after they’re done! Do you think the board will approve of this?”

Her gaze averted to her father as a sad smile graced her lips.

“The world will eat you up and test you on each of your steps, but you will be the phoenix that rises from ashes. You are my strong girl, aren’t you?”

Strong girl.

Her father’s exact words.

“Then I guess it’s a war,” She glanced at her index finger that held the gift from the stranger in the hallway, “Me against everyone.”

“You are being a fool, Avyanna.”

“And I will make sure the board respects me, obeys me and so do all of our clients and relations- just like they used to my father. Me having a vagina shouldn’t be an issue.”

“You are crazy,” Her uncle shook his head, “It’s going to cost you heavily.”

“I never lost once in my life, uncle,” She twirled the ring around, “I am not going to now. If it means that I would have to turn the world upside down, I will.”

Her gaze steadied on her father.

“For everything that has ever been and for everything that is worth.”

___________

Early cause I luv u :)

I hope you like this story!