7: Secrets of the Storm

"If you reveal your secrets to the wind, you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees

"If you reveal your secrets to the wind, you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees."

-Khalil Gibran

Roman's POV:

Darkness seeped into the room, save for the frequent rumbling of thunder and jolts of incandescent lights. Rain hit the glass pane in a thrumming melody, an orchestra of nature being played out in the effulgent darkness. For a moment it seemed as if the only souls that beat within it were us.

"What do we do now?" I queried, trying to arrange the papers by the best of my ability, stealing occasional glances from her.

She took a seat on the sofa beside me. Her jasmine and lily scent overwhelmed my senses as it veiled me in its potent warmth. The soft light from the phone casted a dim shadow over her profile. At that moment, I decided that she couldn't look more otherworldly.

Her presence burned my soul.

"Let me think," She crosses her arms and leans back on the sofa, "You should go check on Azure. My room has candles, right wing, very right corner of the shelf. You will find plenty of them and a lighter. I will need to make some calls."

"Yes, mam," I said, clearing my throat, turning on my flashlight and hurrying out of the room. Being in the same darkness as her, I found, did unexplainable things to me. It invoked thoughts I should not be having as her assistant but they barreled in my mind anyway.

A long sigh escaped me as I tried my best to shine the light around. There was not an ounce of luminescence in the vast manor, as if a mantle of black surrounded the pertinent infrastructure. 

I walked towards the left wing, heading to my room first. I hoped Azure was sleeping and didn't get spooked. A loud creak resonated through the hallway followed by a small,"Meow?"

I exhaled in relief, running towards him. He was huddled in a corner, looking at me with his big blue eyes.

"Are you okay, baby?" I lifted him up, cuddling him to my chest and placing a kiss on top of his little head. He only purred in response but I noticed his heart was beating frantically inside his tiny body.