6: Frozen

"I can give her no greater power than she has already

"I can give her no greater power than she has already... don't you see how strong that is?"- Hans Christian Andersen, The Snow Queen (OG frozen)

Past

"What the hell is this Avie?!" Her mother's shrill voice rung through the large hall. She cringed, her fearful eyes slowly meeting that of her mom's identical ones.

"Why the hell did you refuse to let your brother play with you?"

"I-" She flinched as she stared into her younger brother's tearful eyes that stared up at her in silent accusation, "I just wanted some time by myself-"

"I didn't raise you to be a selfish bitch, Avie," The insult cut deep through her skin, excoriating and painful. She blinked slowly, the venom seeping from every word of her mother poured into her pores, "You are just a kid, do what kids do! Let your brother play!"

"But ma, he was the one who refused me when I wanted to see his toys!" She complained, desperately hoping that her ma would understand her perspective, "I just-"

"Avie!" Her mom reprimanded her, the seven year old visibly cowering in front of her mother, "You are the oldest one! You have to be the generous one. He is your little brother, he may throw a tantrum once in a while but you should be responsible and kind!"

A small question arose in her mind. Even in her childish brain, she could distinguish the unfair mantle of responsibility that was being put on her. Then and there, as the soft luster of the chandelier illuminated a stranger glow over her mom's face and turned her into a stranger she didn't recognize, she decided that she disliked it.

"Why should I?" She protested, "Why should I be responsible and kind? Why can't you scold him? You never say anything to him! Why is it always me?"

"Because you are old enough now! You know that you have a brother! You have to share things with him! You were blessed with a young one, so that you can play with him and love him! Do you not like it?"

"What if I don't like him?!" She screamed, begging to be heard. Her eyes grew blurrier, a faint throb pounding at the corner of her eyes. Her small limbs shook violently, partially from the rage, partially from the role that was put upon her, "What if I don't want to?! I am a human, you are my mother too! Why do I have to give up my things-"

Her head snapped back with so much force that she fell on to the ground. Shock came first, the pain registered afterwards, slowly. She realised that she could no longer hear in one of her ears. Was it normal? She questioned herself, did her mom deafen her?

"I didn't raise you to be a mannerless, violent woman!" Her mother hissed, "You don't act jealous under MY roof, do you hear me? When did you become so disobedient? Have you ever thought how that may affect your brother?"