Oh Baby

Andrew didn't get much sleep last night but the same could be said for anyone in the castle. 

The staff had been in a flurry when the news spread that Lady Calypse had gone into labor. Ludis had been an absolute saint. She had done her best to soothe her lady with reassuring words while ordering other servants to fetch towels, hot water, and other essentials. 

Traditionally when the lady of the house went into labor the servants and midwives were the only ones allowed in her chambers, while the lord of the house remained elsewhere. 
His father had broken that archaic tradition without hesitation, claiming Hell would freeze over before he was separated from his wife while she was in pain and miss the birth of his child. 

No one dared argue, as the lord looked ready to snap if anyone objected. 

Andrew, however, had been told to wait outside with the rest of the Remdragon Knights. His mother's labor had continued through the night and eventually the young boy had dozed off while leaning against Sir Gabel's shoulder as they sat on the cold marble floor in the hall. His slumber had not lasted long though as his mother's painful cries had woken him with a start. 

As dawn broke her cries grew louder and her shouts were easily heard from the other side of their chamber door. His mother gave a final loud cry that sounded like a cross between a sob, a cough, and a scream. Andrew covered his ears as best he could to try to block out the sound of her pain. For a moment all was silent until another sharp cry pierced through the air. It was a cry like none he had ever heard before and it took him a moment to realize it was the cry of a baby, a loud wail from his little brother or sister. 

It seemed like forever, waiting and waiting for the large wooden doors leading to his parents' chambers to open. He paced, unable to stay still. Finally, the doors opened slightly, and Ludis poked her head out. She looked utterly exhausted. She had dark circles under her eyes and pieces of her hair stuck out from her usually neat headpiece, but she was grinning from ear to ear. 

"Lady Maximilian is alright, and the baby is completely healthy," she said in a tired but cheerful voice. "It was a long labor, but both are doing very well." 

Andrew ran forward and hurriedly squeezed himself between her skirt and the doorframe, unable to hold his patience any longer. The knights behind him tried to ask Ludis if it was a boy or a girl as she stepped out, closing the door behind her. She gave them a gentle smile and told them to be patient as they would know soon enough but for now, they should let the family have some time alone. 

The midwives who had assisted with the birth had moved to the foyer to offer the family a little privacy but stayed close in case they were needed. They had looked over the baby to make sure the child was perfectly healthy, changed the bed sheets, and helped the lady change into a clean cotton dress, which fit her loosely like one of her nightgowns. 

Andrew had run straight for his parent's bed and froze at the edge of the bed as he beheld the sight before him. His mother was half sitting up and half laying back, propped up by dozens of pillows. His father sat next to her almost curled around her tiny frame, with one arm wrapped around her shoulders and the other supporting Maxi's arms which were bent before her cradling the baby wrapped in a blanket in her arms. Andrew saw the tear streaks on both his parents' faces, but he knew they were not sad because they were beaming at the little bundle in his mother's arms. 

Andrew stepped a little closer to the bed and a button on his nightshirt scraped against the wooden bed frame, shattering the tranquil silence that had fallen over the room. Maxi jumped at the noise and Riftan tensed as every instinct screamed at him to put himself between his vulnerable wife and child and the intruder. Before he moved, he looked and relaxed as he saw that it was Andrew approaching the left side of their bed. 

Andrew froze once again, his face flushed with embarrassment as he prayed the noise had not woken the baby whom he assumed was sleeping because they were noticeably quiet. 

"It's alright Andrew," Riftan called out to his son. He moved his arm from behind his wife and leaned over to help his son climb onto the bed. 

Andrew sat with his legs stretched out straight as he faced his parents. 

"Andrew," his mother said softly. "I'd like you to meet your baby sister." 

Maxi adjusted the baby cradled against her so that her son could see the baby in her arms. 
Andrew couldn't see very much because the baby was wrapped in a thick blanket but eventually, he could see her face peeping out from the top of the bundle. He saw an unmistakable red tuft of hair on the top of her small head. The baby dosed peacefully and snored softly. 

"Can I hold her?" Andrew asked hopefully. 
"Of course," Maxi said, as she smiled at him. 
Riftan grabbed a pillow from among the dozens that were now lined up against the headboard and placed it in Andrew's lap. His son laid his arms out on top of the pillow with palms facing up. 

Riftan took the baby from Maxi's arms and gently placed her in her brother's arms. 

"Hello..." Andrew said quietly as he stared down at her. He had paused, unsure of what to call her. He glanced up at his parents who smiled back at him. 

"Victoria," Riftan said. "Your mother named her Victoria."

Andrew smiled back at them before returning his gaze to his baby sister. Her skin was fair like their mother's and even had a few of her freckles dusted across her face. 

"Hello Victoria," he said quietly. 

Moving from her mother's arms to a pillow, though gentle, had disturbed her sleep and she began to wiggle slightly in her brother's arms. She let out a sleepy yawn before slowly opening her eyes. 

Eyes as dark as ebony stared up at him. Victoria had inherited their father's eyes.

Andrew laughed, unable to contain the joy, happiness, and pride he felt to be a big brother. 
His laughter amused Victoria and she gurgled and cooed and gave him a wide toothless smile in return. 

He wrapped his arms around her holding his sister a little tighter. 

"I can't wait to play with you," he said quietly. "and train with you and be your best friend." 
He leaned down and gently kissed her forehead before leaning back just slightly keeping their faces close together. 

"I love you," he whispered as though he were sharing a special secret between just the two of them. 

Maxi choked back a sob at the beautiful moment unfolding before her. She felt Riftan squeeze her shoulder and could tell by the way he took in a shaky breath that he was just as touched by their son as she was. 

The family of four sat there for what could have been hours or days, it didn't really matter. What mattered was the love they shared together as a family and the already unshakable bond between Andrew and his best friend, his sister, Victoria Odelle Calypse.

NOTE: Her name means "Victorious Hero."