Spooky Season

The air was cool and crisp as the first hints of fall crept into Anatol. Some vendors sold pumpkins to keep monsters at bay; others sold spiced ciders and other warm beverages to stave off the encroaching cold weather.

Halloween had arrived at last, and the Calypse children were practically bursting with excitement to go out and trick or treat with their parents.

Andrew had his costume picked out months in advance. He was going to be, to no one's surprise, a Remdragon Knight. He had asked the forge master to craft him miniature versions of the knight's armor with the official crest and lapels. The boy's eagerness and high spirits were nearly palpable, and the craftsman happily obliged.

Victoria was far more indecisive. At first, she wanted to be a water mage, then a horse, then a princess, and finally, a few days before the holiday, she settled on a warrior princess with magic powers. She filled a small leather pouch with smooth rocks to use as her mana stones. Rudis and Maxi helped design her warrior dress. It was an odd combination consisting of fake corset leather for the armor and a fluffy pink skirt for the gown with yards of tulle.

Maxi wanted to pair with Hadrian, so she and Rudis fashioned an outfit that made him look like an adorable puff pastry. Maxi was dressed in plain clothes and a chef's hat and apron. She was the cook, and he was her newest creation.

Maxi and the children gathered in the crowded foyer. The halls were adorned with pumpkins and fallen foliage. The relaxing scents of cinnamon and baked apples drifted from the kitchens. The candlelight, which often provided comfort in the dark halls at night, appeared to cast unnaturally long shadows upon the stone walls. There was undoubtedly an eerie feeling in the air.

Most of the knights had gathered with them. Hebaron lost a bet with Victoria, and now the entire legion was adorned with silver lapels that read "Princess Protection."

Truthfully, the knights hadn't made much of a fuss about it. They adored Lady Victoria and were happy to be a part of the festivities, in addition to getting themselves out of their nightly patrol duties.

"Why do you look so smug? It's just a costume." Uslin asked Hebaron, who strutted around, his chin high and chest puffed out.

"Is that any way to speak to your commanding officer, boy?" Hebaron barked.

"Commanding what!?" Gabel blanched. "On whose authority? What idiot put you in charge?"

"I did," said Hebaron plainly.

"That explains it," said Uslin.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hebaron said, crossing his arms defiantly.

"Exactly what you think it means," grumbled Ruth, who had somehow reluctantly been dragged into this mess.

"What about the Commander?" Yulysion asked.

"What about him?" asked Gabel. "He didn't get roped into the bet."

"No, not that," said the young knight. "I wondered if the Commander might wear a fancy hat or some sort of costume like the rest of his family."

"The Commander will absolutely wear the fanciest, most outlandish hat there ever was," said Elliot, "when elephants learn to fly."

"Maybe he'll be a royal guard," said Garrow. "He's certainly grumpy enough."

That earned a low chuckle from the knights; even Maxi couldn't help but smile a little.

"Or maybe a ghost!" said Yulision.

"No, he's scary enough," said Hebaron, "he doesn't need any-"

"Do you truly think it's wise to finish that statement, Nirta?" rumbled a low voice directly behind him.