Don't Go

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Flashback chapter, Victoria is about 3 years old. Also, special thanks to my friend Chi who came up with the outline for this chapter. Enjoy!

The last of the winter's chill had passed and spring was on its way, which meant the season for hunting monsters was also fast approaching.

The Remdragon Knights of Anatol were busy preparing their provisions and gear for the time they would spend out in the wild, destroying any beast that posed a potential threat to their land. The knights were eager to begin the hunt, having spent so much of the cold harsh winter indoors. The training grounds where they had gathered were loud and chaotic as it usually is when preparing for a raid.

Victoria could feel the excitement though she didn't understand what the commotion was all about. She wandered into the grounds, having snuck away from her mother and brother, after her curiosity had gotten the better of her. She carefully avoided the large hooves of the horses and the massive carts that rolled by with supplies, as she crept closer to the knights gathered around a small table.

"It should take less than two weeks," Riftan said, her father's deep voice easily heard over the hustle and bustle of the yard. "Try not to be too reckless and we'll be home in no more than seven days."

As he said this he looked directly at Sir Hebaron Nirta who was one of the only knights with the nerve to scoff at the Commander's remark.

Victoria crept closer and gave a small tug on the hem of her father's cloak.

Riftan turned around and was rather surprised to see his young daughter standing behind him all by herself.

"Hello Victoria," Riftan said warmly as he gave her a small smile. "What are you doing out here? Where are your mother and brother?"

"I snuck away because I wanted to know what you were up to." Victoria said cheerily. "Are we going somewhere, Father?"

Hebaron practically barked out a laugh at her statement.

"Perhaps you will join us some day, my lady," Hebaron teased, knowing full well Riftan would rather face another dragon, before allowing his precious daughter on a dangerous monster raid. "We are preparing for the first monster hunt of the season, which is far too dangerous for you I'm afraid."

"Why is it dangerous?" she asked, trying to understand.

"Monsters are very dangerous, Lady Victoria," Hebaron said with a very serious look on his face. She was too young to hear that based on the tone of his voice that he was teasing slightly. "Even highly trained knights such as myself have to be very careful on monster hunts. Trolls are vicious creatures that can attack at any moment. It's a perilous task and-"

He paused for dramatic effect, as the small child looked up at him wide eyed, hanging on his every word.

"And what?!" She asked as she nervously grabbed the outer layer of her dress in tight fists.

Hebaron knelt down in front of her as Riftan turned to walk away rather annoyed with the knight's dramatics.

"And some of us might not come back!" Hebaron nearly whispered to her as he made a pained face and clutched at his heart, as though to show her the pain of an injury inflicted by those horrid creatures.

Victoria gasped and whirled around desperately looking for her father. He was walking towards the stables to check on Talon and she ran after him.

"Nooo!" she wailed as she latched herself onto his leg hoping to weigh him down, "You can't go! I won't let you! You can't die, Father!"