An Impossible Choice

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This chapter is very different from previous chapters. One of the readers asked for more angst, well, here you go. Hope you enjoy!

Today should have been a very happy day. For the most part, it was. It was the first day of the winter festival celebrating the end of harvest season and beginning of the holiday celebrations. Vendors from far and wide traveled to Anatol to sell their goods or trinkets. The city streets were packed and full of excitement for the young Calypse children.

Andrew and Victoria stayed close to their mother as they wandered among the large crowds. Andrew quietly observed the chaotic hustle and bustle around them while Victoria squealed loudly at anything and everything that caught her eye, especially if it was shiny.

Riftan and the knights weren't far behind, close enough to protect them if necessary but far enough that the children felt free to wander a bit.

They came across a stall where someone sold small animals as pets. Victoria quickly became fascinated by a fluffy rabbit. There was no doubt if she batted her lashes enough at her father, that rabbit would be coming home with them. Riftan and the knights had been held up around the corner, breaking up a small squabble that had broken out between some rival vendors.

Suddenly the cage holding the rabbit sprang open and the rabbit got out. The small creature lept from the cage and raced down a nearby alleyway. The children chased after it and Maxi quickly followed after her children. Riftan would have scolded her for engaging in such rigorous activities but someone had to keep an eye on the kids. Increasing her pace to keep up with her children wouldn't harm the baby, in fact it felt good to get some exercise. Truthfully, she had an uneasy feeling about the whole thing. After all, once the rabbit was free, why didn't it run into the open courtyard? Why did it choose a cramped, dark alley? She should have alerted her husband that the children had run off; though she was sure that within a minute or two he would come looking for them once he realized they had vanished.

The children pursued the rabbit down a maze of back alleys.

"Victoria! Andrew!" Maxi shouted. She pushed herself faster as she raced to catch up with them, though she was slightly slower these days due to her large baby bump. The children rounded the corner in front of her out of sight.

When she came around the corner she would have screamed at the sight before her if someone hadn't clamped their hand over her mouth, silencing her. Each of her children were on their knees, frozen in fear as they each had a large blade held against their throats. The man behind her quickly tied her wrists with a special binding that made her want to crawl out of her own skin. As soon as it touched her wrist its enhanced properties clamped down on her mana, cutting her off from her ability to protect herself with magic. Maxi flinched as she felt cold steel press against her throat.

"Nice to finally meet you, my Lady," a slimy voice drawled so close to her ear she couldn't help but cringe. He had used her proper title but his mocking tone revealed that he held no respect for the Calypse family. She scrunched her nose and tried to restrain herself from gagging as the man likely hadn't bathed in over a week and reeked.

"You have a debt to pay." the man sneered bitterly as he slowly removed his hand which had been clamped over her lips. She didn't dare to scream knowing her children would pay the price for her outburst. "You see despite your husband's best efforts to provide for the people of Anatol, helping those in need with generous charity, some people still fall through the cracks, people like me and my family."

"Last winter," the man continued, "I lost my only daughter. She died in my arms, cold and hungry. And there was nothing I could do to help her."

"I'm truly sorry for your loss," Maxi said quietly, trying to hide her nerves and appear calm for her children's sake. "I'm sorry that the charity centers were not able to provide your fami-"