Father's Day

Andrew and Victoria had struggled to keep a secret for several days. It wasn't a bad secret or even a dangerous one, quite the opposite in fact. They had to keep a secret that they were very excited about. And if that wasn't challenging enough as it was, they had to keep it from none than their father who seemed to have a sixth sense for knowing when something wasn't quite right in regards to his family.

It was the middle of the summer and Father's Day was finally here. Andrew, Victoria and Maxi had worked together with the servants and kitchen staff to try to surprise him. Even some of the Remdragon Knights had joined in and tried to keep the Commander occupied as his family snuck about as they prepared for the big day.

Riftan was almost at his wits end. Every time he had tried to leave his office, Hebaron or Gabel would bring up another matter that they believed needed to be addressed immediately. Most of these matters could have been seen about later in the week but the knights had been adamant that he would see about these matters right then and there.

A soft knock could be heard upon the sturdy oak door of his office and Rudis's soft voice asked for permission to enter the room. The young maid leaned her head in.

"I wanted to inform you that dinner is ready," she said sweetly.

The men got up and began moving towards the door but stopped when they noticed Rudis had not moved out of the way so they could open the door.

"My Lord," she spoke gently as she bowed her head. "Your family has requested that you join them in the castle garden this evening."

The young woman couldn't help the edges of her lips from curling as she fought the urge to smile. She bowed quickly and removed herself from their path before she lost her composure.

Riftan stood still for a moment, processing the odd request. Normally his family dined with him and the knights every evening. What was it about tonight that was so special? He looked back and forth between Gabel and Hebaron who did their best to act indifferent.

The men walked out together moving in silence as Riftan tried to mull over why they would need him in the garden.

"Have a nice evening, Commander," Hebaron called out over his shoulder just moments after the men had parted ways, heading in different directions within the castle. Having known him for so long, Riftan easily noticed the hint of mischief in the burly knight's voice.

Gabel quickly grabbed the knight's arm and pulled him away before he had a chance to say anything else. Riftan could hear Gabel muttering something about "working hard" and "ruining it" which left him even more puzzled.

He walked quickly eager to see what was so important and secretive that everyone seemed to know about it except him. He reached the archway that led into the beautiful garden his wife had created and he paused. The quaint garden normally shrouded in darkness at this late hour was bathed in soft light from hundreds of candles that had been placed throughout the garden.

He quietly made his way through the garden, a rare sense of calmness washing over him as he made his way through the serene space. The soft hum of cicadas could be heard throughout the small garden. He made his way towards the center of the garden where the old oak tree stood and he froze.

His wife and his two young children sat upon a massive blanket at the base of the tree. They had four large baskets set to the side. Maxi leaned over adjusting the final touches of the goblets, plates, and napkins set out upon the blanket while the children fidgeted as they sat on the blanket with obvious excitement.

"Where is Daddy?" Victoria whined impatiently.

"He will be here any moment," Maxi said in a calm, soothing voice.