Happy Mother's Day Maxi

Song inspiration: All I Want for Christmas 

Maxi was awoken not by the bright morning sunlight streaming through her window, nor the shouts of her children playing a game, but by a smell, a delicious mouthwatering smell.

Bacon. Citrus. Cinnamon.

Her eyes opened as the sweet odor wafted through the room. It was coming from the other side of her bedchamber door. She looked to her left and realized that Riftan was no longer in bed with her.

She heard hushed voices on the other side of the door. She immediately recognized the voices of her husband and her two young children who were trying their best to be quiet as they stood on the other side of the door.

She saw the door knob begin to turn and she quickly laid back down and shut her eyes pretending to be asleep. Her curiosity however got the best of her and she peeped through her lashes without fully opening her eyes.

Her children as quickly and quietly as they could, made their way over to her side of the large bed. She heard rather than saw her husband carry in a large tray, as the plates and other dishes set upon it rattled slightly as he walked.

For a moment the room was silent as the children waited for permission to wake their mother. Maxi had to fight the urge to smile at her children who were beaming at her with unbridled excitement.

Their precious smiles grew wider and Maxi assumed Riftan must have given Andrew and Victoria some silent signal letting them know it was okay to wake her.

"Mom," the children called softly.

"Mom," they said, a bit louder this time.

Maxi continued to play opossum.

"Mom!" they nearly shouted, their patience wearing thin.

Maxi's eyes fluttered open slowly and she stretched lazily as though she were just waking from a lovely dream. She smiled warmly at her children and turned slightly to smile at her husband who was still holding the large tray.

Riftan started to speak but Victoria beat him to it.

"Happy Mother's Day!" the young girl exclaimed. "We made you breakfast in bed."

"The cooks actually did most of the work," Andrew admitted, "but we helped."

"Happy Mother's Day Maxi." Riftan said as he set the tray down in front of her. He removed the lids which had covered the food keeping it warm.

A small feast had been placed before her. Eggs, bacon, fruit and pastries of all sorts were laid out before her. Surely it would take her at least a week to eat all of this.

She beamed at her family who had started her day in the best way possible. Though she normally dreaded being the center of attention, today she would happily let her family spoil her seeing as it made them happy to do so.

"This is wonderful," Maxi said brightly. "Thank you so much. It's more than I could ever eat. Do you think you could help me enjoy this delicious feast?"

"Yes!" the children cried out. They had been so busy trying to help make her breakfast that they hadn't eaten yet and were quite hungry.

Andrew climbed on the bed and Riftan scooped up his daughter in his arms as she was still too short to climb up herself, before he sat on the bed next to his wife.

The family ate, talked, joked and laughed for the rest of the morning. The children were so full that they both took a nap right on their parents' bed. Riftan and Maxi sat in comfortable silence, holding each other as Andrew and Victoria slept.