Summer Festival

NOTE: This chapter was inspired by Disney's Festival of the Lion King.

If you had told Riftan Calypse eleven years ago that one of his favorite memories would be made in a cramped, loud arts festival in the sweltering heat of midsummer he would not have believed you. And yet, there he was sitting in the front row with his family watching a lively musical performance at Anatol's annual summer arts festival.

A special stage had been constructed for this particular performance. The stage was surrounded with viewing areas on all four sides with the stage in the center. Looking down at the stage meant that there was never a bad place to sit. Even so, Andrew had insisted that they arrive early to get good seats.

There were acrobats, dancers, stunning costumes, and energetic music throughout the performance. Riftan didn't pay much attention to the story, but he found immense joy in seeing how happy his wife and son were as they watched the show. Little Victoria sat in her mother's lap giggling gleefully as she watched the bright colors of the dancers' costumes move around on the stage. Maxi and Andrew sat on the edge of their seats the entire time, completely captivated by the performance with a look of awe gracing their faces the entire time.

Towards the end of the show a few of the performers asked that all the children come down to help kick off the celebration finale. Andrew was out of his seat before they finished giving the announcement.

"Come with me mom! Please!" he cried gleefully. He grabbed the sleeve of her dress and tugged impatiently as he tried to get her to join him.

Some of the younger kids who were too shy to go on their own often pulled one of their parents along with them so they would feel less intimidated. Andrew was a very brave boy but huge crowds like this made him a little uneasy, plus he didn't want his little sister to miss all the fun.

Andrew pleaded and pulled harder on her arm and Maxi couldn't say no to his sweet request. She adjusted her young daughter who now sat comfortably against her left side as her young son took her right hand and pulled her into the crowd of children rushing down to the stage.
Each participant was handed a small noise maker that had small beads inside that they could shake as they danced to the final song. The other kids along with some of their parents or nannies lined up around the stage and the music started. Following the guidance from the performers the kids began to shake their noise makers as they walked and danced around in a circle around the rectangular platform that held the stage, almost like a loosely choreographed conga line.

The audience clapped along to the lovely beat as lively music played. The performers sang and danced on the platform, waving ribbons and streamers as they moved about. Riftan wasn't paying attention to the performance anymore, he was transfixed by the sight of his family, the three people he loved more than anything in this world, swaying, and laughing as they made their way around the stage. Riftan would have paid any price to make time slow down so he could enjoy this perfect moment forever.

He watched as Andrew danced along to the rhythm of the music as best he could, not quite on the beat but he didn't mind, he was just having fun in the moment. Victoria was completely captivated by the little noise maker she had been given and waved it around wildly, squealing with laughter as the small instrument brought her endless joy.

And then there was his Maxi. Great heavens she was so beautiful. His wife swayed to the music with their daughter on her hip as she followed their son in the line. Her movement had caused her hair which had been put up on this sweltering summer day to come loose and now it swung behind her as her body moved gracefully. What really struck at his heart was her smile. It was blinding, so full of love and happiness as she danced with their children. Her eyes crinkled slightly as she laughed with joy as they moved around the stage. She was glowing, the way only a mother can when she sees that her children are immeasurably happy.
Andrew suddenly broke the line and came running towards his father. The young boy had a joyful smile on his face that Riftan thought could easily rival the bright sun.