Gravity

TW // blood, mention of death

Not suitable for very, very young audiences.
Read at your own risk.

***

"Thirdy Ravena with a bad fall.. Oh, no.."

My lips parted as I watched how Thirdy fell. Blood streamed down from his eyebrow. His eyes were closed and his mouth is slightly open, gasping for some air. He was trying to calm his self down.

"Doc, ako na d'yan.." Napalingon ako sa nurse na kumuha ng syringe at bote na hawak ko. Napasobra na pala ang kuha ko sa gamot.

"Bea, are you good?" Ate Den asked me when she saw me eating alone and staring at nothingness in our hospital's cafeteria.

"I'm good, ate." I gave her a small smile before looking at the person behind her. Ate Ly was carrying their tray.

"You need a table? Patapos naman na ako.." Ate Ly cut me off by sitting in front of me and started taking their food off the tray.

"We'll eat with you, Bea." Ate Den sitted beside ate Ly. We ate in silence. I was still thinking about Thirdy's fall.

"Is it about Thirdy?" I turned to ate Ly when she spoke. We were alone at the elevator. Ate Den went to the E.R because a family was rushed here, nabangga.

"Ang alin, ate?" I asked. Gulong-gulo ako. Hindi ko alam kung kaya kong magtrabaho ng matiwasay ngayong gabi. Kumpleto naman ang tulog ko. Maybe watching basketball at this hour is a 'never again' for me.

"You, being preoccupied. It's about Thirdy, right?" I sighed before nodding. She was probably watching Gilas vs. Lebanon as well.

"He fell and his head landed first," I swallowed hard as I recall Thirdy's bad fall. "It's common in Basketball. It's part of the game," When the elevator opened, sabay kaming naglakad palabas at patungo sa laboratory.

"It may just be a concussion, Bea. No need to worry," She reassured me. Nanikip ang dibdib ko nang pumasok sa isip ko ang mga napagaralan tungkol sa head concussion.

"A concussion may lead to bleeding inside the brain, ate Ly. And to swelling of the brain. Either or.. can be fatal," Napalunok ako sa mga naiisip. I couldn't do anything but to worry about Thirdy. Idagdag mo pang naglaro pa s'ya kanina.

"CBC for Mrs. Cachero under Dra. Valdez and.." She turned to me. I was confused for a moment until she pointed at the paper I am holding.

"Urinalysis for Ms. Madayag under Dra. De Leon," I said before handing the patient's record to the MedTech. I turned to ate Ly who was watching my every move.

"Don't overthink, Bea.." She calmed me down. I breathed in and out slowly, trying to control my thoughts and emotions.

"You know naman Thirdy. He'd still choose to play lalo na they're outnumbered," Tama s'ya. Thirdy is stubborn and hard-headed. Hangga't hindi bumibigay ang buto't kalamnan n'ya ay maglalaro pa rin s'ya.

Ate Ly and I parted ways in the elevator. She went to the ground floor to process her patient's discharge paper while I went back to my office. My assistant nurse was talking to someone on the telephone when I came in.