Chapter 1- Road Trip

Author's Note: I hope you enjoy the story! I would like to make a note that I was writing another story while writing this one and I am still new to writing so there is definitely room for improvement but I hope you like it!

---------------------------------------------

I look out the window, studying the new buildings around me as we drive past them. They are so unique. So different. I quickly grab my sketchbook and pencil out of my backpack and place it on my lap. My airpods are currently playing the song, "Hot Rod" by Dayglow.

"Lana." My mom says, tapping my arm to get my attention. I take out my airpods as I look over to her.

"We're almost there!" She says, excitedly.

"How far exactly?" I ask her.

"About an hour, maybe even less." I internally groan. We have been driving for the past 6 hours. Why does Virginia have to be so far from South Carolina?

"Wait where are we going?" I ask in response to her pulling into a busy parking lot that includes fast food places and a target.

"I'm thirsty so I'm going to get a sprite from the Mcdonald's drive through. Do you want anything?" She asks me.

"I'll take a rootbeer." I reply.

Once we get our drinks, we head back on the road. I continue looking at the window, trying to familiarize myself with my new surroundings.

"I submitted all your forms for your new highschool, Ridgewood. You start August 15th." My mom states. Great, a new school. Lucky me.

"That's great mom." I reply, trying to force out a smile. My mom knows me well enough to know when I am lying. Ever since freshman year, it has been just me and my mom. My dad left us when we needed him the most...

"Oh honey, I know this isn't easy, believe me." She says, empathetically. I have been trying to sound excited about moving to South Carolina for my mom, but it is hard. I mean, my whole life I have lived in Virginia. All my friends are in Virginia, including my boyfriend, Drew. And now with this whole move, I have to leave them. And it doesn't help that I will be completely alone going into my senior year. Lucky me.

"You will have all summer to get adjusted before highschool starts. Plenty of time to make some friends. And I'm sure your cousins will introduce you to some people." My cousin, Vicky, is the only reason I am semi okay about this move. She lives in South Carolina and happens to be a senior at the same highschool I will be attending in the fall. I have always been really close with her so hopefully she'll be able to introduce me to some people. Her twin brother, Michael, on the other hand, couldn't irritate me more.

"Yeah." I reply. I guess I do have all summer before school starts...

"And think about it this way, we are only a block away from the family." My mom adds. The whole reason we moved to South Carolina is because my whole mom's side of the family lives there. My mom moved to Virginia when she married my dad, leaving her whole family behind. And ever since my suckish dad left, it has been just me and my mom. I want my mom to be happy and I know it will be a lot easier living in an area where family is close. And when I say close, I mean close. My cousins house is like a three minute walk away from our new house.

"Lana, wake up. We're here!" My mom shouts. I wake up from my uncomfortable sleeping position in my mom's truck and look around. The house is so cute. It is white with some green color added to outline a few of the windows. I can also see the moving truck in the driveway. I quickly get out of the car and run up the front steps. The house has our same couch inside, meaning the movers already started setting mostly everything up. I run around the whole house, studying and inspecting everything. Once I am done, I head back outside to grab the rest of the boxes.

"It's perfect isn't it?" My mom asks me, looking at the house as though it was a new born baby.

"It really is. It seems like the perfect size for us." I reply, this time, genuinely.

"You can bring this up to your room. It is the first bedroom on the right once you get upstairs." She tells me.

After about two hours of unpacking mostly everything, I stand in my door frame, looking at the finished product:

I have got to say, I am pretty proud of how my room is set up. It was fun to be able to start from an empty canvas since it was almost completely empty when I started. I then sink into the warm comfort of my bed. I almost fall asleep, when I suddenly hear my phone buzzing. I answer it quickly seeing that it's my boyfriend, facetiming me.

"Hey you!" He says through the phone.

"Hi Drew."

"How is everything?" He asks with a smile. His dimples make me blush automatically. Drew and I have been dating for around a year now. I am so happy I met him. He's such a gentleman and such a sweet guy. We started by becoming really close friends and then he asked me to go out and we started dating.

"Good. I spent the rest of the day setting up my new room, so I didn't get a chance to actually look around the area." I reply.

"Ooo let me see." He replies, excitedly. I flip the camera around, moving my phone so he can see the whole room.

"I knew you weren't going to forget to add a whole wall dedicated to your art." He states.

"You know me too well." I reply. Art is a big part of my life. Ever since I took a painting class when I was younger, I fell in love with it. I am even majoring in it for college.

"Lana- dinner is ready." My mom calls from downstairs.

"Well, I should be going now." I say to Drew.

" Ugh, I miss you already." He replies.

"Me too Drew." I then hang up the phone and head downstairs.

"Please say we are having shepherds pie." I say, smelling the aroma of it from the kitchen.

"Lucky you, we are." My mom says, serving me a plate of it.

"Did you check outside yet?" She asks suddenly.

"No." I say as I go over and open the door to the backyard. I'm shocked to see that there is a pool.

"You didn't say anything about a pool.." I state.

"I wanted to surprise you even though it isn't much of a surprise considering you don't even like pools that much." My mom responds. It's true, I'm not a huge pool person.

"Thanks for dinner mom." I reply, stuffing my face.

"Of course. Did you finish setting up your new room?" She asks.

"Yes I did and I am so happy with it." I reply.

"I'm excited to go check it out." She says.

"I'm surprised Aunt Michelle hasn't come over yet." I state.

"They're coming back from Fiji tonight and they wanted to give us the rest of the day to unpack." My mom says. My cousins are totally rich and every summer, they go on boujie vacations somewhere unique and relaxing.

"Ooo Fiji." I reply.

"I know. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to walk over to their house and say hi. You want to come?"

"Sounds good. Just wake me up." I reply.