Chapter 7- New Employee for the Day?

I wake up, feeling somewhat determined to actually do something besides work today. So I get up, look through my drawers for something athletic to wear and decide to go on a run. I then tie my hair up into a ponytail, and head outside.

Thankfully, I woke up before the sun came out so I don't have to deal with the hot summer sun on my back as I am running.

After my run, I quickly rinse off in the shower before getting ready for work.

I then walk into work and head to the kitchen as usual. I stop dead in my tracks at the site in front of me. Kristen is with no other than Tyler, explaining something to Chris. Did I miss something? Gosh, I need to start getting here earlier.

"Hey Lana." Kristen says to me. Tyler turns around and we make eye contact for a quick second.

"I know you are probably wondering what is going on, but Mrs. Clark wanted Tyler to get the experience of working here for a day. So he will be helping you guys out today." Kristen informs us. I internally groan. And to think, today was supposed to be a good day. Now it's ruined.Chris and I exchange looks before turning back to Kristen.

"I have to go manage the front desk now. Have fun you three." She says before walking off. I turn back to face Chris, but he is nowhere in sight. Wow Chris. I'm left standing, alone with Tyler.

"Look, I don't want to be here any more than you want me to be." Tyler says.

"Good, we're on the same page then," I begin, "Well first, we need to restock the cups." I then go downstairs into the storage room. I reach to the top shelf, trying to grab plastic cups however I am not successful. I'm 5'4 so reaching things isn't exactly my specialty.

"Here." Tyler says with a sigh as he reaches up and grabs the cups for me. He makes that look real easy. Well I'm sure it is easy for him considering that he is probably around 6'3.

"Thanks." I mutter quietly before going back upstairs to the kitchen. I do the rest of the opening shift tasks in silence.

"You know, it isn't going to be easy for me to learn anything when you don't bother speaking." Tyler says. I look over to him with an annoyed expression.

"Why are you such a jerk?" I ask him. He looks taken back by my question. As though he wasn't expecting me to ask that.

"I-" He begins but I cut him off.

"I just genuinely don't get what I did to you to make you hate me so much. It's like the first second you met me, you treated me like some piece of trash. You know, it took me an hour to get all the milkshake fully out of my hair." I tell him. He doesn't respond, processing my words. For the first time ever since I met him, it looks like he actually cares. Like he actually feels bad.

"I'm sorry," He begins, " I know I was a dick to you." I don't respond, instead I just go back to working. Surprisingly, he actually seems like he means it. I can tell he is being genuine by his tone.

"Where are you from?" He asks me suddenly.

"Virginia."

"Are you here for the summer or something?" He asks, making hard eye contact with me. Why does he have to be so attractive with his cold, dark green eyes.

"I moved here with my mom a couple weeks ago." I reply. Why does he care all of a sudden?

"Why? It's not common for people to switch schools and home towns in the middle of their highschool years."

"Oh believe me, it wasn't exactly what I wanted but my mom wanted to be closer to her family." I explain.

"And you're okay with that?"