SIX - AN EMERGENCY

Tony was sat on the couch with a steaming cup of coffee in his hand when Steve walked into the room. The team had been given a day off but Tony had spent it in the workshop anyway, deciding to finish up in the early evening.

The sun was setting before he left his workshop most days now Fall had dawned on New York, meaning he didn't see too much sunlight since he disappeared downstairs well before the sun came up and stayed down there till after it set, too.

"Hey Tony, how's it going?"

Steve threw himself down onto the couch beside his friend, folding his arms and smiling widely.

"It's going," Tony shrugged, "You? How's things with Coulson?"

Steve rolled his eyes with a quiet laugh, his cheeks blushing ever so slightly at the mention of Sasha. Since they'd met at Tony's party just under a month ago, Steve hadn't been able to get the dark-haired beauty out of his head. From one conversation he was infatuated with her, in awe of the drive and determination she had instilled in her and the intelligence in her words, the kindness in her pale blue eyes.

It helped that she was beautiful too, of course. Steve had been texting Sasha back and forth as much as he could, though work commitments had meant that he'd yet found the right time to ask her on a date, despite wishing he'd done so the second he met her.

Tony hadn't spoken to Sasha in two weeks, the last thing on their iMessage chain was laughing emojis he'd sent in response to a link to a funny video from her saying 'reminded me of you'.

It was a strange feeling for Sasha, scrolling through Facebook one evening and seeing a video and immediately thinking of Tony. The fact she felt comfortable enough to make fun of him was concrete evidence to her that she did in fact have a friend in Tony Stark by that point, and she was certainly glad about it.

Life was fine for Sasha without friends, work took up most of her time anyway, though it was nice to have someone to laugh and joke with like she did with Phil. Although a superhero billionaire might not have been her first choice for a friend, Sasha wasn't exactly spoilt for choice, and as it turned out, Tony was exactly what she needed him to be.

"I want to ask her on a date, you have any ideas?" Steve asked, turning to his friend.

Tony placed his coffee down on the table, looking upwards in thought.

"She likes steak. But don't take her to any of those places round Times Square, go up town. She likes fancy cocktails, champagne, not chain restaurants. Oh and she hates sushi, so if you can't find a steak place, find an Italian instead, don't try and impress her with Thai food or anything like that, she'd just eat it to be polite instead of saying anything."

Steve sat in a stunned silence, his brows raised, "Wow, you know the girl well, don't you?"

Tony bit down on the inside of his cheeks to hold back a smile, "Yeah. I guess I do."

He wasn't aware he'd learned so much about Sasha in their short friendship, but he clearly paid a lot more attention to her that he was inclined to admit. Tony listened to her, enjoying the way she'd smile when she was talking about The Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin, a glow radiating from her face with every happy memory she recalled from her childhood.

He'd realised that slowly but surely, Sasha had opened up to him. He knew she enjoyed his company, seeing a spark flicker her eyes back into life whenever he walked across the street to meet her. She'd called him a couple more times to meet up for a beer in O'Shea's after she'd had long day at work, to which he was more than happy to attend, though they rarely saw each other apart from that, texting only on occasion.