FORTY SEVEN - ROSE PETALS

"What's all this?"

By some miracle, Tony had convinced Sasha to go back to the Stark Tower with him to talk. He'd practically seen her guard fall away by the look in her eyes and a shallow gasp, a watery gaze and unstable tongue. If there was ever a chance for Tony to make things right, it had presented itself that morning in Central Park.

Sasha wasn't sure why she walked by Tony's side through the streets of New York back to his home, but the warmth she felt when she smiled at the familiar doorman made a place that cast dark shadows across her city and now her life, a little less daunting.

Heading down a corridor towards the living room, Sasha stopped when through glass walls she saw a room full of colourful holograms projecting an eyesore of an amount of information and pictures, giving her a headache without her stepping foot into the room.

Tony swallowed and quickly barged into the room, swiping his hand through the air and dragging everything down into the corner, leaving the room suddenly bare.

"Nothing, it's nothing." He said, shaking his head and closing the door behind him.

Sasha dropped her shoulders and furrowed her brows, "Those guys in the pictures, I recognised them."

With a defeated sigh, Tony kissed his teeth and crossed his arms at his chest, "I had to do something to keep me busy, something good after everything that happened. I worked night and day putting a case together with a lawyer I know to make sure anyone and anything related to Obadiah Stane and the guys who did what they did to you, that they'd be in jail for life. That's what all that was."

Sasha clenched her jaw, swallowing hard as she looked at Tony. She realised then in that moment that down to his core, he was a fixer, a rectifier, an avenger. He couldn't always prevent things, in fact none of the team could, and although Sasha had spent most of her life thinking it was possible to live that way, she'd had the prime example of it being impossible in front of her for the past twelve months.

"You found a lawyer better than me?" She said with a small smile.

Tony's face relaxed and he let out a quiet sigh of relief, allowing his lips to curve into a mischievous grin at the sight of a light behind Sasha's blue eyes again, something he'd missed more than anything.

"He's a very good lawyer, you could learn a lot from him."

Sasha just rolled her eyes and followed Tony a few paces behind as they made their way into his living room. His home was spotlessly clean and appeared the same as she remembered it, besides a large framed piece of artwork on the wall beside the bar area that hadn't been there before.

She wandered over to it while Tony began making two cups of coffee, her eyes gazing up at the large frame fronted with glass, hundred of pressed red and yellow petals inside it that were arranged to form a letter S.

"When did you get this?" She asked, turning to look at Tony.

He cleared his throat, approaching her nonchalantly before handing her a cup of coffee.

"A while ago. You remember that huge bouquet of flowers you bought for me? I had 'em dried out and pressed. It adds something to the place, don't you think?"

As much as Sasha willed herself to stay strong, it seemed like there was no way for her to avoid Tony's charm. He spoke to calmly like what he'd just explained was nothing, no big deal, and yet to Sasha, it was one of the most romantic things she'd ever heard.

"And the S?" She said, "For Stark?"

"Sure," Tony just smirked and shrugged his shoulders, "It's for Stark."