Chapter 12

The next morning, while the Three Warriors tended to Chad and Jeremy at Wayne Manor, Batman and Robin appeared on the Allan Stevens talk show.

"Now you were saying..." Stevens began.

"As I was saying, America must have faith that the law will recover the voices of Chad and Jeremy" said Batman.

"Yes, I understand that millions of the world's teenagers are in virtual mourning since last night's tragedy" said Allan Stevens.

"Yes, that's quite true, Mr Stevens, but on the plus side, millions of parents are delighted" said Batman. 

"Speaking as an average, ordinary red-blooded, typical American teenager, I think this is one of the worst things that could have happened. Stealing voices in general is one of the worst things. If I couldn't hear the voice of my gorgeous girl... I don't think my life would be worth living" said Robin.

"Fans, you've our assurance that Catwoman will be captured. And the voices of Chad and Jeremy will be restored before another sun sets in Gotham City" said Batman.

Catwoman strutted into the studio saying "The sun also rises, smarty tights".

She ordered the kittens to keep the audience in their seats and shoot sonic beams at them if they moved.

"Let's crush 'em, Batman!" said Robin.

"Hold on, Robin. They appear to be desperate. They might even fire on the audience" said Batman.

"You bet your baby blue eyes we would" said Catwoman slyly.

"We'll continue with this tense and exciting scene after a short word from our sponsor" said Allan Stevens.

Catwoman shot a sonic beam at the wine bottle Stevens was holding and ruined the word from the sponsor.

"Well... back to you, Catwoman" said Stevens.

"What is it you want, Catwoman?" said Batman.

"Eight million pounds for the return of their voices" said Catwoman.

"Eight million pounds of what? Chicken fat?" said Stevens.

Catwoman glared at him and he cowered saying "sorry I asked."

"It comes to a grand total of 22,400,000 American dollars and I want it fast" said Catwoman.

"How do we know you really have their voices and will return them?" said Batman.

Catwoman opened her box and Chad and Jeremy's voices sang their song inside it.

"But that's impossible. Nobody will pay that much money for those voices" said Allan Stevens.

"England will. Because England swings like a pendulum do. Or does" said Catwoman.

"England? Of all the preposterous plans! You can't hold up an entire country" said Batman.

"Wanna bet? Chad and Jeremy pay so much income tax to their native land that if it were to stop, the whole empire might crumble and the British power would be deflated" said Catwoman.

"And once that happens, the entire economic structure of the world would collapse. How dastardly!" said Batman.

"Alright, you've heard my deal. You've got until tomorrow noon to come up with the scratch. If not, I turn my voice eraser loose on everyone" Catwoman threatened.

As Allan Stevens tried to stand up to Catwoman, she stole his voice!

"Come on, kittens. Let's shake a paw" said Catwoman.

The kittens left and Catwoman dropped another one of her smoke bombs.

"A sneeze bomb should keep you busy for a while" she said.

The smoke inside the bomb made Batman and Robin sneeze.