Chapter 14

Batman, Robin and the Warriors went back to police headquarters to ask Chief O'Hara if there's been any progress.

"All of our men are out there in the field, Batman, but they're not making a bit of headway. Poor Commissioner Gordon is still without his voice. I think she's got us licked" said Chief O'Hara.

"The game is never over until the last out is made, chief" said Robin.

"Robin's right. Never say die. We've had some dark moments in the past, haven't we?" said Sam.

"Yes, I know, but this..." Chief O'Hara began.

"Fear not. A criminal always makes one mistake. I'm sure she did too. There's no such thing as the perfect crime" said Batman.

"This crime seems pretty clean to me" said Charles Wallace.

"I agree. I, for one, can't think about a single mistake she made. She even had that audacity to phone me right here in Commissioner Gordon's office this morning" said Chief O'Hara.

"Do you remember what she said, chief?" said Calvin.

"Better than that, Calvin; I tape recorded most of the conversation" said Chief O'Hara.

"Sound thinking" said Batman.

"Holy resourcefulness!" said Robin.

"I couldn't have put it better myself, Robin. It's no wonder you've risen to the top of your department, Chief O'Hara" said Batman.

Commissioner Gordon turned on the recording and the group listened to it.

"Chief, what I want is money. And you've got four hours before I start using my voice eraser on everyone. Today, Gotham City. Tomorrow, the world" said Catwoman's voice.

"Oh my gawrsh, that woman!" Sam grunted.

"Do you mind if we take this with us, Commissioner Gordon?" said Calvin.

The commissioner shook his head.

"Not at all. But why?" said Chief O'Hara.

"I heard a strange noise in the background. I think it could tell us where Catwoman is" said Calvin.

"Excellent listening, Calvin. We just might be able to identify this noise on the Bat Sound Analyzer" said Batman.

"Courage, Commissioner Gordon. We'll have your voice back before you can say 'wiggle'." said Sam.

"Wiggle" Robin joked.

Sam gave him a light punch on the shoulder as he laughed.

"Come along, Robin, Warriors. There's not much time" said Batman.