Chapter 15

The gang went back to the Batcave and investigated the noise on the recording.

"Think it'll work, Batman?" said Charles Wallace.

"It has to work, Charles Wallace. The world is at stake" said Batman.

"What does it do?" said Sam.

"This will determine if that sound in the background is something unique and traceable" said Batman.

"Batman, there's something I don't understand" said Robin.

"Yes?" said Batman.

"I realize that losing the power of speech is an awful thing, but why do you feel that the whole world is at stake?" said Robin.

"Simple. If we couldn't talk, there'd be no telephones. There are millions of people who use telephones in business every day. Now they'd have to meet their clients face to face" said Batman.

"And that would cause enormous traffic problems, wouldn't it?" said Sam.

"Precisely, Sam. Further, all the people who work for the world's phone companies would lose their jobs" said Batman.

"And without voices, there'd be no radio, no television, movies would go silent..." Calvin listed.

"Wow! There's a whole list of things losing your voice can do to you" said Charles Wallace.

"And Catwoman can do all that?" said Robin.

"If we let her. Now let's see what that noise in the background was" said Batman.

The Batcomputer gave them an answer.

"Three hair dryers" Calvin read.

"Three hair dryers? Those could be anywhere" said Sam.

"If I remember correctly, there are over two thousand beauty salons in Gotham City alone" said Batman.

"There's not enough time to look through all of them" said Calvin.

"Not unless..." Batman began.

"Not unless what, Batman?" said Charles Wallace.

"Not unless the effects of the voice eraser were off after a while. If that's true, we don't have to worry at all" said Batman.

"Gosh, Batman, I hope so" said Robin.

"You go top side, Robin, and see if Chad and Jeremy have recovered their voices through natural means. We'll push on here" said Batman.

"Aye aye sir" said Robin.

He went up his Batpole, turned back into Dick Grayson and checked in on Chad and Jeremy.

"Any luck, Alfred?" said Dick.

"I'm afraid not, Master Dick. Your aunt and I have tried every remedy we could think of, but it appears that Chad and Jeremy may well have been stilled forever" said Alfred.

Chad and Jeremy were silently crying as Chad wrote something on a piece of paper.

"It may not be long before we're all in the same condition. There must be some way out" said Dick.

Chad handed the paper he wrote on to Alfred.

"What is it, Alfred?" said Dick.

"It seems that they want to go out and get their hair done" said Alfred.

"Boy. I thought I heard everything" said Dick.

"Yes. To Mr Oceanbring's on pickford street" said Alfred.

"Mr Oceanbring's? The world famous men's hair stylist?" said Dick.

"It's the latest rage, Master Dick. Almost every rock and roll star goes to have his hair coiffed by Mr Oceanbring" said Alfred.

Dick looked at Chad and Jeremy and said "Are there hair dryers at Mr Oceanbring's?" 

Chad and Jeremy both held up three fingers.

"Thanks!" said Dick running off.

"Now what in the world could he have meant by that?" said Aunt Harriet.

"Well, madam, apparently something about the hair dryers at Mr Oceanbring's seemed particularly attractive to the boy" Alfred stuttered.