6

Washington DC

Six months later

"Why is everyone so mesmerised by a guy in a blue catsuit and red cape?" James squinted against the sunlight as he walked out of the Capitol. He reached into his jacket for a pair of sunglasses.

Senator Finch laughed softly. "I know the attack cost you a lot - "

"Do you really think I'm here because my profits are down?" James asked, insulted. "Five thousand people died in Metropolis alone, Senator. Five thousand. And that's just the dead. The people who lost their limbs, the people with spine and brain injuries because they were inside buildings when they fell down, the children who were orphaned, and the survivors who seem just fine but will be dealing with post-traumatic stress for the rest of their lives...they don't even make it into your statistics. They are the reason I'm here."

Partway down the Capitol steps, the senator stopped walking and turned to him. "What exactly is it you want, Mr Sutton? Even if I agree that Kovalan should answer for those lives, how do you propose we make that happen? There's no prison that could hold him. We can't even serve him a subpoena because no one knows where he lives."

She did have a point, though James could have helped her with the address part. "Kovalan told the world media that he considers himself an American and subject to our laws," James reminded her. "What I'm suggesting is we put that to the test. You don't need to serve him, just broadcast your request for him to appear and answer for his part in the destruction. If he doesn't show up, the world will know his word means nothing."

"And if he does appear? I come back to my original point: how do we proceed against a man we can't hold?"

James shrugged, "That's for you and your committee, senator."

Her careful politician's smile turned cynical. "Nice evasion."

"I don't believe he is invulnerable. He killed Scyro, which proves he's not immortal. He's not a god, but we are treating him like one. If anyone else contributed to five thousand deaths and billions in property damage, we would call them to account. Instead, Metropolis is building him a statue and dedicating him a park! We do ourselves and our democracy no favours by treating Kovalan as above the law."

"That's a great speech," Senator Finch said. "You should think about running for office."

"Senator, I don't deserve that sarcasm. I have the greatest respect for those like yourself who dedicate themselves to public service. Will you at least consider what I've suggested?"

The senator sighed. "I will consider it, Mr Sutton. Now, if you'll excuse me..."

James stayed where he was while she continued down the steps. She had agreed to think about it. It wasn't the commitment he wanted, but he could follow up the conversation later. He flipped open his cell phone and scrolled quickly through the missed calls and messages. There were the usual business updates and confirmations of decisions. Only one message was unexpected. He had a text message from Bill Centron: When she turns you down, call me.

"Bill," he muttered, "what are you up to now?"

James touched the limo's microphone. "Airport, please. My plane."

"Yes, sir," the driver answered.

James switched the microphone off and took the secure cell phone from his briefcase. He called Thomas to let him know he was on his way back to Singleforth.

"If the jet makes good time I'll be back before eight," James reported.

"I'll see that supper is ready for you, then, Master Sutton. Was your trip productive?"