Rescue Operation: Into Grandfather's Wing

With a map on the table the children hovered over it as Shaun told them of his plan.

"We'll slip into the other wing through this connecting corridor. We'll disguise as veiled dolls." Shaun said.

"Of course! That's how Edward pulled it off! Impressive, Shaun! You're so perceptive!" John praised.

"You're embarrassing me, Master John." Shaun said.

"Kate will go"

"As will Charlotte."

"John will, too!"

"The more of us that go the greater the risk of discovery." Shaun warned.

"But we've no idea where Emilico and Arla are! We must split up and look for–"

"That won't work. We've no way of maintaining contact." Kate said.

"Sorry John, but you must remain and Kate and Charlotte will go instead." Charlotte said.

"Yes, but searching the entire wing alone is impossible." Patrick said.

"Do not worry, we do not have to search the entire wing. In Lord Grandfather's wing, the higher the floor the more important the Shadows. There's a first, a second and a third floor. Edward is more likely a second or first floor Shadow." Charlotte said.

"But how are you so sure Charlotte?" Kate asked.

"Because, Edward was in charge of our debut ceremony and considering that it is such an important event for the Shadows it cannot be put into the amateurish hands of a first floor Shadow. Only someone with authority and knowledge could create such." Charlotte said hoping she made sense.

"You have a point." Kate said.

"What John doesn't get is why one so important would resort to sneaky measures like an abduction." John said.

"Yes, that is sneaky." Patrick agreed.

"My guess is because adults are not allowed in the children's wing. I mean think about it, if that were the case then Edward wouldn't need to hide himself as a veiled doll to enter he could've just taken them." Freya said.

"Why take such a risk?" Kate asked.

"Because…um…Charlotte is not sure, but since it were our dolls that were taken, maybe he has some sort of vendetta against us…but she really doesn't understand what it is we could've done to garner such resentment." Charlotte sighed.

"It looks like we can narrow out the first floor but how are we going to verify whether Edward is on the second or first floor?" Patrick asked.

"That…Charlotte is uncertain." She said.

Of course Charlotte knows but that's Patrick's moment. She thought.

"You will have to steal a veiled doll's uniform, won't you? How will you manage that?" Louise asked.

"There must be a room somewhere where they keep–"

*knock x3!*

The children gasped when someone knocked on the door of Patrick's room.

"Who could that be at this hour?" Louise asked.

"Patrick, what's all the racket? Open the door this instant." Barbara called from the otherside.

"Isn't that…?" Kate wondered.

"Barbara!" Louise whispered.

"That Star Bearer?!" John whispered.

"On no. She must've heard us." Patrick whispered.

"There's no time we must escape through Ricky's room." Charlotte whispered.