Rumour

#Slight spoilers for anime S2#

"After the upcoming exam, all of you will aboard a cruise funded by the school for summer vacation. Oh and Sakayanagi-san, please see me in the teacher's lounge after this."

A brief announcement by Mashima-sensei before dismissing us.

"Sei~~ do you mind helping me with maths? I'm still not that strong with the proving part in trigonometry.."

"Oh yeah, me too!"

"Those are difficult to grasp, aren't they?"

"Yeah... whenever Mashima-sensei reveals the answer and explains it to the class I get it but whenever I try to do it on my own I just can't see how to break the equation down.."

"Okay~ I'll explain some basic concepts that will make it easier for you guys to comprehend but in turn recommend me some more interesting books, okay?"

"No problem!"

Hmm how many girls are here with me right now? Watanabe, Minami, Takayama... hmm 7 of us?

Plotting out a map of how far each of my friends' personal friend group goes, I concluded that spreading information to reach just within the class with these few friends was sufficient.

At Pallet, we found some seats and joined a few tables. Taking out our stationary and notebooks and purchasing some refreshments, we started our study session.

Within Class A, study sessions are a common sight. All of us understand our weaknesses and understand the importance of clearing our doubts, so we all try our best to collaborate with one another and seek help.

It would be safe to conclude that the tension between each faction wasn't that strong yet. So everyone prioritised ensuring that our class average in our studies was high over fighting in our factions.

These study groups also acted as a medium to allow the members of different factions to interact with each other. But let's be honest, although we are cooperating with each other, there is still some sense of rivalry between the two factions, leading to occasional disputes. 

Hence, most of the study sessions are mainly organised by a key player in each faction, to take control of the situation when required.

The reason for the different factions in the first place is mainly due to the varying inclinations in each person's thinking. Some may be more idealistic while others may be more down to earth and pragmatic. By the way, the aforementioned example is core factor in the reason as to why the class split, each representing the Sakayanagi faction and the Katsuragi faction respectively.

Back to the current situation at hand, I, one of the key players in the Sakayanagi faction, am currently holding a study session with the girls. We normally have mixed gender sessions but my personal friend group is mainly made up of girls and this study session was actually rather impromptu, so those who could actually make it are mostly those from my friend group and a few other girls from the Katsuragi faction whom I generally get along well with.

"It's been about 45 minutes, let's take a break~" I announced to the group.

"Pomodoro?"

"Yup~ Today's lessons were kind of rough so I just wanted to do about 2 hours of studying."

"Thoughtful as always, Sei-chan!"

"It's not like that... I was feeling rather lethargic myself."

"Yeah yeah... Do you guys have any tea*? I'm feeling bored~"

(Eru: Idk if it's just a slang that's used where I'm from but sipping tea basically means gossiping)

"Hmm... Oh did you guys know? Hirata-kun from Class D started going out with Karuizawa~ Man, and he was one of the better boys in our cohort..."

"Isn't that news from like ages ago?"

"Really? I just heard about it yesterday!"

"Girl, you are so behind the times"

"But still, Hirata and Karuizawa? Of all people, Karuizawa? I mean she is rather pretty but I can't say that Hirata has good sense."

"Come on! Don't be so mean! She's not that bad... she just has a really nasty way of doing things."

"Nasty? What did she do?"

"I heard she purposely tripped some girl from Class C or something, don't know the details."

"Eh~~ that's horrible, how could she do that!"

While Karuizawa at this point of time did behave in a rather condescending manner that caused many to dislike her, I still can't stand people insulting best girl Kei. I understood that Kei was just acting this way to flaunt her (and Hirata's) authority. 

"Now now, let's not go too far with the criticism shall we? We actually don't exactly know the details, perhaps the Class C students picked a fight first? Let's chat about something else.

Oh did you guys know? I heard something about us having a very special exam soon. Apparently it's not a normal written exam and tests us on something different entirely!"

"What? Where did you hear that?"

"I was in the toilet the other day and I overheard some seniors talking about a 'special exam' and from the details that's what I concluded!"

^This here was, of course, utter nonsense. However it seemed logical as quite a few of us had already gotten quite close to our seniors, it wouldn't have been surprising if our seniors accidentally let slip of the existence of special exams- which also explained why Hoshinomiya-sensei could reveal the existence of special exams to Class B and get away scot free. Networking and Luck also seemed to be 2 important factors and values that this school was testing.

"This information gives Class A an advantage over the rest of the classes so make sure the other classes don't know, okay?"

The other 6 girls nodded their heads vigorously.

There was no need to just abruptly announce it to the whole class as firstly, the more it progresses as a rumour, the more ambiguous and unreliable it gets. This allows the class to stay more alert and prepare themselves for any scenario. Secondly, Katsuragi might intervene and mess up Sakayanagi's plans. Information will just naturally spread, especially if it was important, hence I can be rest assured that by tomorrow, the whole class will be aware of the possibility of a special exam.

My phone's alarm rang, signalling the end of the 15 minutes break.

"Okay!! Time to go back to doing work!! Stop chit-chatting!!"