9 : worry & confusion

Present, 2022

(30)

Baekhyun is tapping his fingernails on the desk as he waits for the phone call to come.

Right now in his hotel suite, Baekhyun is the only person awake. The company is considerate enough to send four more people to work with him in Copenhagen, in exchange for Chanyeol going back to Seoul after hearing about the hospitalization of his father. But the company also decided to extend their business trip to three more days so that they can cover additional work. Baekhyun is not so pumped up about it.

Said people who are with Baekhyun are his colleagues from the Design and Programming Team, two younger than him and two same-aged as him. They're sleeping and snoring in his and Chanyeol's beds after Baekhyun voluntarily took the couch for himself. He didn't bother upgrading their suite. They could just cramp themselves in this room, no big deal. They're all men anyway.

"I should probably sleep now."

There's a 7-hour difference in his and Chanyeol's time zones. It's currently 2 am here in Denmark while it's 7 pm in Korea. As the lampshade beside him illuminates his area, Baekhyun stares at his phone's black screen and rests his head on top of the table. It'll be no longer a surprise if Chanyeol forgot to call him. That guy must be exhausted from his flight, and looking after his father in the hospital is more important than anything.

"Yup, I better get some shut-eye. We still have to wake up early."

Just right after Baekhyun turns off the lights and plops on the sofa, his phone vibrates against the pillow. Seeing Chanyeol's name flashing on the screen, Baekhyun's eyes light up, and so without further ado, he answers the call. He sets up his phone close to him while being all curled up under his blanket.

[Hello? Sorry if I called you so late. It got really busy when I arrived in Korea this morning.]

Quietly breathing in the dark, Baekhyun only hums as a reply.

[I didn't expect my Mom and Yura noona waiting for me at the airport. I was shocked. When we got to the hospital, the doctor informed me that my Dad will be up for surgery tomorrow. I hope everything goes well with his operation. He's still unconscious but his condition is stable now.]

"That's a relief. I'll pray for his fast recovery."

[Thank you... Honestly, seeing my old man lying in the ICU bed feels strange.]

This feels strange, too. The fact that you're telling me everything, Baekhyun says in his mind.

Looking back, Chanyeol, unless he is asked, won't tell him a thing. He's been that way even when they were still young. Chanyeol tends to keep his problems to himself, not to worry and burden others. He pretends to be happy in front of everyone but he's actually hurting when he's alone.

For the 12 years Baekhyun has known this man, this must be the only quality that he hates about Chanyeol. Chanyeol is good at putting up a facade. Most of the time, Baekhyun doesn't know what the other is thinking. He could only go as far as to sense Chanyeol's attitude towards a situation, and then he'll have a hint of his mood and thoughts. His personality is somewhat complex, too. While being an extroverted person, Chanyeol is also private and reserved. He is loud but also quiet. He appears tough on the outside but is actually vulnerable on the inside.

So, having Chanyeol put his guard down at times like this.

[And maybe I cried a little, seeing my father in that pitiful state.]