18 : Seoul & Bucheon

Flashback, 2008

Freshman Year of High School

(16)

It's the first week of August and summer vacation has just begun. Baekhyun and his friends gather at Chanyeol's house to hang out for the last time. Tomorrow, they will part ways and start their summer vacation schedules, before seeing each other again in school for the second semester.

"So, what are your plans this summer break?"

Chanyeol serves ice cream to his guests who are waiting for him in the living room. Baekhyun picks one pint of pistachio ice cream for himself.

"Jinki, Minho, Kibum, and I, we're starting a rock band!" Taemin announces, earning an amazed reaction from the rest of the boys, "My Uncle owns a hotel and we're gonna be performing there on the last day of summer. We have to practice all month for that. It's gonna be a big event."

"For four weeks, I have to attend a summer class program in Singapore. My Mom already signed me up for the advanced classes," Jongdae says with a shrug. "My crush is gonna be there, too so it's a win-win situation."

"Wait, you have a crush!?" The guys exclaim altogether, shocked by Jongdae's revelation. "From our school?"

"Nope. from a different school. We've been only texting for a week, so... I'm still starting to get to know her."

"Way to go, man! You're gonna get a girlfriend real soon!"

"Hahaha. It's still early for that!"

Everybody teases a flustered Jongdae while Chanyeol watches his friend, fondly smiling to himself.

Look how happy Jongdae is. He's blushing and grinning nonstop. So a guy's eyes can glow this much just by thinking about a crush?

It must be a wonderful feeling, to have someone who can make you feel special. To have someone who brings a smile to your face just by thinking about them. To have someone to be the reason for your heart to flutter every time you're near them. To have someone you can never stop thinking about all day.

Wait. Chanyeol also has that someone. But does it have to be a crush? Can't it be just your best friend?

"Hey." Baekhyun elbows him, pulling Chanyeol out of his short reverie. "How about you? What are your plans this summer?"

"Me? I'm going to Seoul to visit my Grandparents," Chanyeol says, smiling at his best friend. "They said they miss me already. My sister's gonna pick me up tomorrow."

"Oh."

Baekhyun falls quiet for a minute, realizing the fact that he's the only one among the group who doesn't have something interesting going on for him this summer vacation. Aside from staying at home to play video games and help out in their convenience store, he doesn't really have a concrete plan to spend his month-long off from school.

Should he get a part-time job? Or take supplementary classes? How about learning a new hobby? But that's not his thing...

And doing stuff without Chanyeol is not fun.

To think that he thought he would be spending his summer vacation with Chanyeol. He was mistaken. It wouldn't be the case after all. They'll be far away from each other for a whole month. This is just so heartbreaking.

"Wanna come with?" Chanyeol asks.

Baekhyun suddenly perks up.

"Huh?"