17 : rain & shine

Flashback, 2008

Freshman Year of High School

(16)

It's the month of July.

As the weather gets hotter, classrooms have their air conditioners turned on to help students cope with the heat. But as for Baekhyun, the cool air only makes him sleepier during class. He's been fighting the urge to close his eyes and nod off while their homeroom teacher speaks in front of them.

"Listen, everyone. The class representative will distribute the parent consent forms for the upcoming school trip. Make sure to have your parents' signature before you submit the forms due on Friday."

Now that the midterm exams are over, the school is organizing outdoor activities and field trips to provide a break from their academic routine. Freshmen students are encouraged to participate in this year's activity which is visiting a strawberry farm and camping.

Baekhyun smiles. So he's right about it. He overheard teachers in the faculty lounge talking about the school trip once. Chanyeol trusted him a hundred percent that he already bought a camping bag even before the details were revealed.

"I wonder if it was already announced to their class... Chanyeol must be so happy."

As for his friendship with Chanyeol, Baekhyun can say that they are growing a lot closer. He feels a drastic change in his mundane routine. He and Chanyeol hung out more frequently this past month. Waking home after class and riding the bus every day, studying in the library, playing games on the weekends, eating snacks at the park, accompanying each other during breaks, and texting every night. Everything with Chanyeol was fun and enjoyable. There wasn't a single day when they weren't meeting up and texting each other.

What were they talking about? Nothing in particular. They would just chat about random stuff such as the food they ate, the games they played, the TV program they watched, the puppies they found cute, the sweets they wanted to try out, or the things their family did. They were texting when they weren't together. They were off their phones when they were with each other.

Indeed, Chanyeol's company brings sunshine to Baekhyun's life. Chanyeol's presence is his happy pill. When he's with Chanyeol, he forgets all his worries, immersed in their own world. So, although Baekhyun may not say it out loud, he already treats Chanyeol as his best friend.

Does Chanyeol feel the same way? Does he think of him as his best friend, too?

But Chanyeol has a lot of friends. So probably, Chanyeol only thinks of him as one of his buddies. And maybe, that thought hurts Baekhyun a little.

He was just happy a moment ago, but now he suddenly feels sad.

You're not that special. He treats all his friends equally.

That thought comes across Baekhyun's mind as he observes Chanyeol from the window of their classroom. On the field, Chanyeol is playing soccer with his classmates and it's obvious how much fun he's having right now. He is smiling so bright it could beat the sun.

"I wish we were together in the same class," Baekhyun exhales, "I'm jealous of those kids."

"What's with the long face?" Jongdae asks, noticing his friend's somber aura. He traces Baekhyun's line of sight. "Oh, isn't that Class 2 playing soccer?"

"Jongdae, you shouldn't have introduced Chanyeol to me."

"Why? Did you guys fight?"

"Now I want him all for myself."