8 : hello & goodbye

Flashback, 2015

Senior Year of College 

(23)

"Hey. You're here early."

Looking up, Chanyeol is greeted by Baekhyun's smiling face as the guy noisily places his stuff on the desk. Baekhyun sits on the vacant spot beside him while students also enter the lecture hall. The professor hasn't arrived yet; it's still ten minutes before the class starts anyway.

It's just now that Chanyeol remembers he's taking this class with Baekhyun. His mind has been disoriented after what happened the other night, the night when he came out to Baekhyun. He even almost forgot to bring his report due today. Thank god Kyungsoo reminded him this morning. Perhaps it's also because of the winter season that he's acting not himself, who knows. He really hates the cold.

"Hey," Chanyeol greets back after a few seconds, side-eyeing Baekhyun hesitantly. Should he say something more or should he just keep quiet?

Nonetheless, Baekhyun speaks again to carry on their conversation.

"Want some gum? I have plenty."

"Oh. Sure."

"If you're curious if I got home safe that night, yes. I did. I slept well, too."

Baekhyun casually offers the gum after loudly scrambling with his bag. Chanyeol only watches him, unsure how to act as if his personality did a 360.

Baekhyun pauses and meets eye contact with him.

"What is it?" Baekhyun asks.

"Huh?" Chanyeol mutters.

"You've got something to say to me?"

"N-no. Sorry."

"Wanna grab lunch together later? My treat."

Taken aback, Chanyeol finds himself nodding.

What is this... Baekhyun's acting the same as usual with me. Do I deserve this?

Chanyeol stands behind Baekhyun while the guy orders the Subway sandwich for them. Seems like Chanyeol still hasn't recovered one bit from their confrontation that night, judging how his mind is somewhere else. Baekhyun needs to nudge him on the arm, telling him they should go find a table so they can eat.

"I haven't tried this combination yet and it's so good after all?! Like, chicken and bacon ranch melt is god-tier, I swear."

Baekhyun chomps his gigantic sandwich like he's been starved for days, letting out a satisfying groan. Chanyeol has no plans of touching his food yet.

"Aren't you hungry?" Baekhyun asks.

"I don't have much appetite. Sorry," Chanyeol answers.

"Then give that sandwich to me. I'll eat it."

"Baekhyun... Aren't you feeling uncomfortable around me?"

"Huh? Why would I?"

"Because I'm, you know?"

Softly staring at him, Baekhyun chuckles.

"Well, it was a bit surprising knowing that you aren't who I thought you really are. But to me, it doesn't matter anymore. Whether you like men or women, or both, I still view you the same! Because do I have a reason not to? The only thing I'm quite bummed about is you keeping a secret from me. But aside from that, I'm cool with you being in the rainbow community. It's no longer even a taboo nowadays. I actually have friends in my club who are lesbians and gays! And they're nice people. And good-looking, too. I caught them making out once with their partners and I pretended not to see. It was a strange sight but I don't think I cared that much. How much more when it's you? Who am I to judge you?"