Marriage Carnival | 04. Promise To Preserve

🎶 Yeh Aaina by Shreya Ghoshal.

• Rihaan •

Nervousness manipulated her still and poised stance at my question. The way, she fumbled with the her handbag strap wasn't unnoticed from me, which portrayed me of her inner conflicts.

"To be honest, I am not ready for marriage yet." I heard her say, that made me stare into her, encouraging her to speak further.

"Post-graduation is already hectic and it would only grow assiduous in the next year. It would be tough for me to handle both my professional as well as personal responsibilities." She poured out her thoughts, which made walk towards her.

"I understand. But, do you think your or my responsibilities will anyday magically decrease in the coming years?" I replied to her statement with another question, which forced her to gaze at me. She shook her head in negetive.

Slipping my left hand into my pant pocket, I inclined on my desk.

"Life will never be easy for us, Bhavna. So, the question was never about comfortibility. All that matters is - if we are ready to share our responsibilities, compromise for each other and are willing to make amends life long for our happy future." I tried to infuse my thoughts in our short conversation.

"What if I get asked to divert my priorities for this relationship?"

"What if I say, your priorities will be my priorities too?" I instantly replied, in order to cajole her deep-rooted conflicts. Surprise flashed in her eyes, at my words.

"I-" She stammered, before I cut her off again.

"Trust me on this, I'll treasure your dreams with everything I have." I smiled at her, staring into the depth of her brown orbs. She nodded.

"I don't want you to accept me just because my Mom would love to have you as her daughter-in-law or because of the promise of your mother made to mine. Accept me, only if you feel, you can share your life with me." I stood upfront her, her eyes gently gazing at me. I smiled at the slight smile tugging itself on her lips.

"Are you ready to share your life with me?" I was surprised at my own question.

A tender blush painting her cheeks, sort of assured me of her affirmation. Still, I waited for her words of confirmation.

"I guess, I am." She mused with a different shine in her alluring brown eyes. I smiled at her chirpy self. She seemed to be pondering over something, while we walked out of my cabin.

Before the door of my cabin could close, I heard her ask, "What about you?"

I chose to not respond to her question, but I extended my bandaged right hand for her. She glanced at me, briefly, before placing her hand gently over mine. Pulling her towards my left, I held her hand, softly as we padded out of my cabin to the main entrance.

All the eyes were on us. I could feel a few good-for-nothing men leering at her, their nasty stare concentrated at her low back blouse. Her eyes moved back to me while, few of her steps faltered as my left palm brushed against her bare back, after I protectively draped my arm around her to guard her from those ill-stares.

"I heard, we are already engaged." I whispered near her ear, teasing her.

"Vansh. That monkey! He told me that if I say the receptionist that I'm your fiancé, she'll only let me meet you." She whispered back, making me cough to cover my erupted chortles.