Marriage Carnival | 15. Grandeur or Togetherness?

🎶 Perfect by Ed Sheeran & Beyoncè.

• Author •

"I'm sorry, Bhavna." He sighed. He was conflicted on which path to step on.

"If I agree to do this, I'll be breaking the promise, I gave you. I don't want you to leave everything behind and come with me to Shanghai. I certainly don't want to ruin your happiness by snatching away your ambitions. Why don't you understand? I don't want you to compromise!" He held her palms in a gentle grip, trying to manipulate her thoughts.

"For eight months?" She shrieked in anguish. Sighing, she let silence befall their conversation yet again.

"What should we do, then?" He whispered defeated as she tightened her hold on him.

She proposed, "Let's get married tomorrow."

"Not again, Bhavna!" He sighed.

"Alright, we will get married tomorrow. Taking seven pheras is easy. But, what next? Have you ever thought of our life post-wedding?" He sounded agitated to her, but she was still determined.

"Then, what do you want us to do? Postpone our wedding for a year?" She questioned, cupping his right wrist.

"You know, what that means right? Don't tell me you think that my Dadu will be willing to wait for a year. Rihaan, I don't want to lose this- I don't wish to lose you. Not now, not ever." She deadpanned.

"Marry me, Rihaan." She urged him, only for him to retort back.

"So, you want me to leave my wife here for a year after our marriage. Is this what you want, Bhavna?" He cupped her face, pulling her closer.

"I will come with you. We will stay together. A year won't hurt."

"Have you lost your mind, Bhavna? Your occupation is as important as mine. I am never going to let you stop your practise. Not even for me." He emphasised, while she rigidly supported her beliefs.

"Please, let's get married. We will make a way out." She voiced out vulnerably.

"Still I feel it's unfair to you. I don't want you to get married to me in a hurry. I don't our life commitment to be a hasty decision. I want to give you a grand wedding, where we will have enough time to relish our togetherness." He whispered, kissing her forehead.

"Grandeur has nothing to do with happiness, Rihaan. My happiness lies in our togetherness." Her fingers traced his cheek, rough with his trimmed facial hairs.

"As you say." He sighed as she left no second to snatch his sanity away with just a peck. With a nod, she looked convinced.

"But, you are not going to quit your practise. If needed, we will stay separately." He warned her, pinching her cheeks.

"Will you leave your new bride and go away, huh?" She gasped, dramatically. He also knew, it was just a sheer facade to stop herself from letting those unshed tears down.

"It's you, who wishes to chose the hard way." He reminded her, hugging her close to his chest.

"Near or far, I will be at peace knowing you are mine." She murmured, playing with his shirt pocket after a faint hiccup.

"Don't cry, Bhavna."

"I don't know why I am crying. I am just scared." She complained, while he nodded, patting her head.

"It will be arduous. So, I want my wife to be strong. Understood?" She nodded, hesitantly inching forward to kiss his lips.

Ignoring her advances, he pecked her lips and mumbled, "We need to prepared ourselves for tomorrow."