- The Beginning -

CW: Mentions of kidnapping.

+++

Marilyn Kate and Vance Hopper had been rivals since they were five years of age.

No one knew why they hated eachother, they just knew.

But Marilyn remembers the day she started hating him like it was yesterday.

"Bye kids!" A father calls out to his children with a grin on his face as he watched them run away without muttering a word back. They were way too excited to start school to even wave to their father as they made their way to the playground.

Marilyn and Casper Kate had been with their father since their mother left to buy drugs and never returned. It broke the poor man's heart but he knew he had to stay strong for his kids.

"C'mon Casper! There's a swing!" Marilyn yelled to her older brother in excitement, a wide smile covering her face as her brown eyes brightened at the sight of metal chains and a rubber seat.

Casper was a few months older than his sister. And like any older brother, Casper was extremely protective. He swore to their father that he'd protect the small girl. Even after death.

Marilyn begins making her way towards the swing, a hop in her step. But she doesn't make it very far until she's pushed into the slimey mud by a pair of hands.

"Move."

Marilyn was disgusted. Even though it was only a few centimeters, she felt as If her hands and knees had sunk four feet into the gushy mud.

If it hadn't of rained yesterday the small girl wouldn't have been half as mad. But it did rain. And she was furious.

Looking up, Marilyn glares at the unfamiliar boy who had pushed her down.

He was staring down at her with a small smirk of delight. His bright blue eyes held a mischievous glint and it only angered the girl more.

Raising to her feet, the girl steps towards the curly blonde. "You ruined my favorite shirt."

The boy looks back at her, amusement clouding his features.

"Really? I think it looks better. That shirt was ugly before I added a little mud." Marilyn doesn't have much time to cover herself before the boy flicks his shoe through the thick brown liquid, splashing it all over the girl.

"Hey!" Marilyn turns to see her brother storming over to the two with his jaw clenched and a frown on his face, his dark hair blowing a little in the cool breeze.

The younger boy doesn't show any sign of regret or fear as the older boy stomps up to them.

"Yes?"

Casper grits his teeth. "Don't splash mud at my sister."

A smug look covers over the young boys face as he looks at Marilyn and the mud covering her clothes.

"What are you gonna do about it?"

Caspers gaze hardens and his eyes squint at the boy.

Marilyn tilts her head, a glare covering her own features and Casper watches as his sister stomps towards the boy before grabbing his hair and pulling him down.