Sisters Reunited

The awkward silence filled the room once everybody left. It's so quiet you could hear a pin drop. I didn't know how to talk to Sam. It's been forever since I last saw her. I tried to think of anything I can talk about. Some common ground the both of us have.

"How's Tara?" I wondered. 

That's one thing Sam and I have in common. We love and are protective of Tara.

"She's still pretty shaken up and overwhelmed by what happened." Sam answered.

"Yeah, me too," I replied. "I still get nightmares. I can't tell you the last time I've had nightmares..."

There's a pregnant pause between us. Sam was staring at me with pity and I hated that. I should still talk about something.

"Where have you been all this time, Sam?" I asked. Not out of hurt or anger, but just curious. Sam was still my sister, but it was almost as if I'm staring and talking to a stranger.

"I've been living in Modesto with Richie and we worked at the bowling alley." 

"Wow. Sounds like you're living the dream." I said sarcastically, but being honest.

Tara and I wanted to get out of Woodsboro after we graduate from high school.

"Not really..."

"You managed to get out of Woodsboro so you've accomplished something there," Then I continued in longing. "That sounds like a dream...to move far away from this town."

"How are you and Wes?" Sam asked. "He obviously loves you."

"We're doing great," I filled her in. "We're looking at colleges so we can go there together with Tara."

"That's nice. I still can't believe he changed his hair." Sam chuckled and I did, too.

"I thought he'd look good as a dirty blond," I smirked, thinking back to when Wes showed me his new dyed hair for the first time. "How did you meet your boyfriend, Richie?"

"He was one of my friends back at school." She answered as if I should've known that.

"Oh. You ran a lot with other people. I couldn't keep up with how many friends you've had," I said. "The so-called friends who you skipped classes with, got into trouble, gave Deputy Hicks and Mom a hard time-"

"I get it, Zoey." She snapped.

"I have always covered your ass when you were in trouble, but it's not like you ever cared." I mentioned bitterly.

Sam looked at me as if that was the first time she knew about it.

"You did...?" She asked in shock.

"Yeah. Like, there was a time when you came home late at night being high and drunk out of your mind from another one of your parties that you went to. I helped to drag you upstairs and took care of you so Mom wouldn't find out. That's just one of the many things I've done for you, Sam. Sometimes, I don't even know why I cared to bother when you're always just causing the chaos, but I do because you're still my sister-"

"Half-sister, remember?" Sam spat, still being hurt by the misunderstanding. The horrible misunderstanding that forced us apart.

"That's not what I meant, Sam." I tried to be calm and not lose my temper.

"Oh, isn't it?" She asked spitefully.

"No!" I insisted. "You may be just mine and Tara's half-sister, but that doesn't really matter. We're still blood sisters at the end of the day. You being my half-sister doesn't make me love you any less. I don't even care that you're really Billy Loomis's daughter because you're not like him."