Chapter 17 - Better to forget what happened

"Sarcasm aside, you are mostly right. Except for the guardian." Informed Reginald looking at all his children, they looked back at him wanting to know more about their hypothetical last mission before dedicated their last hours to a suicide mission.

"What kind of guardian?" Asked Viktor his hands holding each other.

"The kind of guardian that does this." Diego replied fast, holding high the hand that was missing two fingers, Luther mouth falling agape. "He had a sword." He informed looking at Reginald like he wasn't gonna do shit other than sitting there in the lobby.

"With a chain attached to it." Added Y/n, one of her hand doing a finger gun towards Diego that looked at her still serious. Five lowered her hand to save her from the embarrassment.

"It is a force to be reckoned with." Reginald motivated, holding his dear notebook near his chest.

"See? Yeah. This is where you lose me." Said Luther referring to the fact that he would not do anything else now that he'd found out the cheat in it.

"This is where he loses you? I checked out at the sacred cave." Lila air quoted the last part of her sentence.

"Why would the builders of this 'back door' need to have a guardian?" Asked Viktor, his hands flying up mid air and his shoulders shrugged. Sloane pointed at him with a valid answer.

"Ah! To protect it from people who want to use it for nefarious means." She said like she had always known the answer of it, like she had studied for it. To Y/n it seemed like they were back again in the academy's library, sir Reginald teaching them about mathematics or languages or... anything actually. She didn't like the feeling, it felt too nostalgic, it felt like Reginald was slowly trying to re-take that role he had always had, of the person that told them what to do, and they had to do it.

"Correct Sloane." Confirmed Reginald.

Now it was the time to decide weather it was something that they were going to do, or if they were only gonna await their death. Obviously Ben was quick to side with Dad, he had always been greedy when talking about wanting Reginald's attention. Diego confirmed being pro to the thing but expressing that Lila should stay back... fore some reason.

"No, this is bigger than all of us, nobody should stay back." Clarified Allison. Y/n looked at her, she felt it, the tone she used, like she knew that it was important that no one stayed behind, but how could she, now? Was Y/n mind just going loco because of the tense situation? She wasn't sure, she had analyzed human behavior for years but at this very moment she didn't know what to think. It was already weird that the woman had switched into sweetheart mode.

"You, my children, are all that stands between us and oblivion. Are we ready to go?" Emphasized Reginald in a attempt to convince all of them.

"Well, I say we vote." Suggested Viktor, Y/n could tell that he didn't have a good feeling about this, maybe it might be because of his trust issues but something did feel off.

"This isn't a democracy, Dad is calling the shots." Said Ben going against Viktor idea.

"I'm with Viktor. We vote." Five backed his brother serious expression, his eyebrow have been furrowed for the last 10 minutes.

"The world is ending, and you want to count hands?" He asked in disbelief, voice becoming a little rude.

"You are asking us to risk our lives. I think is only fair that you give us time to discuss it." Proclamed Luther, Reginald looked around to all his children and inhaled trying to stay patient.

"We still have time to do that anyways." Added Y/n catching her dad's eyes. "Privately."

Reginald scoffed walking away, leaving the group in the lobby, the only one he had paid attention to was Ben, he patted his arm before leaving. The group parted agreeing to meet again in an hour.

———

"Noooo no, start with the Rosè, always start with the Rosè, it's sweet and it doesn't feel strong at first, so when you drink the rest, if you want to, you'll just down everything easily." Y/n was holding two bottles of Rosè wine. Sloane looked at one of the bottle asking again if her sister was right about this.

"I assure you, I might have not gone to parties and all that commercial stuff, but I definitely knew what Dad had in stock in his office." She confirmed, winking at the suggestion that she had stolen alcohol from their father. Sloane finally agreed, the both of them smiling like they were kids doing something illegal. Five then entered the kitchen while the two women walked out the wine cellar into the same room.

"Hi Five." Greeted Sloane walking past him to go upstairs to her husband.

"Hi." Greeted Five watching her pass by with a bottle of wine, he was interested in that.

"Cereals?" Y/n asked, Five shook his head and looked around, he was searching for something. The woman looked at him curiously wanting to know what was grinding that mind of his. "What are you doing?" She asked, Five glanced at her and then went back too look at the place were he had fallen asleep.

"Retracing my steps." He said shortly walking out the kitchen and down the hall, Y/n followed him wanting to talk about something she had been thinking for a while.

"Isn't it strange for Dad to put his faith in a fairytale? I mean, turns out is a logical thing I guess but... it feels odd to me, all the 'my children' and the whole thing he did with the family meeting." She said externalizing her thoughts, maybe that would help her to divide anxiety from reality. Five hummed he wasn't really listening to her but can you blame him? He was so annoyed about not knowing what he'd seen yesterday night, he could have cared less to bother himself with Y/n's paranoia.

"Five, I'm serious." She said, and it felt to her like she was talking with a wall. When Five pressed the button for the elevator she had had enough. She touched his shoulder turning him towards her. "Listen to me." She said locking their gaze together. "Pogo told you that Dad had this mission in mind for decades, this is not a last minute discovery." She said. Five had to take in the idea, it wasn't that impossible to think really, he nodded putting his hand on top of hers in order to take them away from his shoulders.

"I can not believe I'm about to say this, but your thoughts make sense, alright, I just need to remember a thing that is been stuck in my head." He said voice growing soft after the veiled insult he had thrown at the beginning.

"The one about yesterday night, Dad and all?" She asked and Five nodded leaving her hands, turning to the elevator that just had dinged while opening. "Ok, so if you have a itch in your brain you absolutely have to scratch it, but if I do I have to wait?" She asked, the tiny guy slid his hands in his pocked, a hint of a smile in his face, he waited for the doors to start closing before replying.

"Yes." One word, one tone, all smugness. She groaned annoyed, he could have just told her that he wanted to do his shit alone.

(A/N: we are slowly reaching the end of the book, i wanted to thank you all for the interest in this story.❤

Do not worry, i have another story ready to come out after this one, i hope you all will read that one too. I'm also working on another story, i figured that even the second season of TUA could be interesting with a Y/n in it.

Have a nice day, or night if you are reading this story in the middle of the night. All the love❤

P.s: If you are indeed reading in the middle of the night please go to sleep, rest is important.)